Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Snow covering LED lights

Old 01-05-2017, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 21mconte
+1 that Truck Lite is the only brand I know of that makes the heated ones. Would love to see some more...
Yes sir, Truck Lite owns the patent, US8899803 B2
Old 01-06-2017, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since Mopar/Jeep is offering Led headlights here in the Northeast as option on 2017s, they must also be heated. Available from Mopar, pricey at $700 +-
Old 01-06-2017, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Low
Since Mopar/Jeep is offering Led headlights here in the Northeast as option on 2017s, they must also be heated. Available from Mopar, pricey at $700 +-
They are not heated. Currently, the only heated LED headlights are produced by Truck-Lite.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dleon2
I have LED headlights, fog lights and light bar. Got caught in an unexpected problem driving over the pass in Washington in a snow storm. Because the lights don't create any heat the snow doesn't naturally melt and the heavy snowfall covered ALL my lights in mere minutes. I had to pull over every 5 to 10 minutes to wipe off the lights to see where i was driving. How have others solved this problem? I am looking at the new Rigid 2x2 lights that shoot light sideways on the A-Pillars since they don't have a bevel to trap the snow. Not sure if that will work. Other option is after market headlight washers??? Any solutions?
So I'm not sure what your traffic is like there but around me everything shuts the eff down when it snows......except for Jeeps

But anywho what I did to fix this issue was get a nice set of driving lights and angel them to line up where my headlights aim. So a set of IPF 900's on the bumper and I am good. I am not worried about getting bugged by the 5.0 for offroad lights because of the reasons I stated above. So far I have drove in 3 snow storms with them and they have done great. An added bonus is they are more yellow than LEDs so they show up better in the snow and rain.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by jdinny
Yes sir, Truck Lite owns the patent, US8899803 B2
Was not aware that was the reason. That's interesting. Link in case anyone cares to read a bit of it -

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=p.../US8899803.pdf
Old 01-07-2017, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Heated truck lites and forget it. I have had both heated and not, after getting stuck in a whiteout and no headlights because they froze over I learned my lesson.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:17 PM
JK Newbie

So I have a 2017 JKURHR and it came with the Mopar LEDs from the factory. I made the trip from Casper, WY to Denver, CO during the a pretty bad storm Wed night and had no issues with snow covering the headlights. Now I did not touch them to see how warm they were as it was not something I thought about cause it was not an issue. Just some FYI.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HRCruse
So I have a 2017 JKURHR and it came with the Mopar LEDs from the factory. I made the trip from Casper, WY to Denver, CO during the a pretty bad storm Wed night and had no issues with snow covering the headlights. Now I did not touch them to see how warm they were as it was not something I thought about cause it was not an issue. Just some FYI.
I second this. I have a 17 JKUR with factory LEDs and have now driven through two snow storms at night and haven't noticed any issues.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

I wonder if type of snow matters? Where I live we get mostly the heavy/wet/sticky stuff, which is what concerns me. I would imagine the powdery snow wouldn't be much of a problem since it would blow off. Even my last vehicle's halogens get snow covered here in a good storm.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm truly considering adding headlight washer not only for the snow but constant layer of salt grime I get from driving In southern Ontario. There are a bunch of under $20 kits on ebay that should work
well. Think I'll just bite the bullet and order one today.

Quick Reply: Snow covering LED lights