Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft Top door leak

Old 11-02-2018, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top door leak

Recently bought my first Jeep, 2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2-Door soft top. Here in Indiana we recently had a lot of rain and I had a decent size leaks coming from the upper left hand corner area of the driver side door. It seemed to have been coming from the sponge type material shown in the picture. Not sure if it’s part of owning a Jeep or if there was a way to fix the problem. Appreciate any help or comments!

Last edited by Justin Herrmann; 11-02-2018 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 11-02-2018, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better picture

Here is a better picture of where the water is coming from.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

10 year old soft top jeep, its gonna leak!
Old 11-03-2018, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You can buy a mucket kit from the dealer or quadratec (qtec has forum discounts) and that should solve the foam issue. Is the rubber piece you've got highlighted flattened out or is it wrinkled? Another option is to replace the door seals which are relatively inexpensive and there have been massive design changes/ improvements through the years. I replaced both on my 2010 and noticed a drop in water leaks.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a kit straight from Bestop (who makes the factory soft top) and it has all the little foam seals that are probably deteriorated on your top. I called them direct. I think it cost like $13 or something. Quadratec sells some crazy kit for over $100. Don't do it. Call them. It worked on mine. Right over the driver's side door. Just like yours.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, just recently my leak started back up again. I was out of ideas. It would drop cold water down onto my door, right above the handle, then it would splash on my leg while I was driving. When parked outside, I'd come back to a puddle on the floor. I was at my wits end. One day I opened the door when I got in the garage and inspected it. I pushed on the front plastic piece that meets the door surround and water dripped out of these 2 holes that have rivet-like pieces of metal holding it together. I filled those holes with some Loctite silicon and drove it around in the rain all day. Not a drop of water inside. I posted a pic. I can't say that it's definitely fixed. Only time will tell that. But it looks promising so far! Worth a try, anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20190119_153341.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	677283  

Quick Reply: Soft Top door leak