Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft top question

Old 02-05-2019, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Soft top question

I plan on getting a soft top and half doors come spring time. Do i need to get a special kind of soft top to be able to do those plastic windows with the half doors or what do i need. Prob a dumb question but im only 3 months into jeep ownership
Old 02-06-2019, 04:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Whatever soft top you buy just needs to come with the corresponding hardware and door surrounds.....nothing special for the half doors/uppers.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You'll probably want to go with the standard material instead of the premium so it matches your half door material though the premium material will be nicer the other 99% of the time when you're inside the vehicle. It lasts longer than the standard material as well because it stretches a little instead of ripping so easily like the standard material.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan1023
I plan on getting a soft top and half doors come spring time. Do i need to get a special kind of soft top to be able to do those plastic windows with the half doors or what do i need. Prob a dumb question but im only 3 months into jeep ownership
Do you have items in mind? If so, Show some links to what you're thinking. It's easier that way.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pkdailey4
Do you have items in mind? If so, Show some links to what you're thinking. It's easier that way.
i dont have anything specific in mind yet , just looking for a baseline. I just did a bit of research and guess my original thought process was i needed to find uppers compadible with the soft top rather than the door which i see now (didnt really think it through cause thinking about it now idk why the uppers would attatch to the top making exiting and entering the vehicle weird)
Old 02-07-2019, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

I guess what im really looking into is uppers that are easy enough to store in the vehicle while i drive so that when i get to destinations i can throw them on no problem. Not sure if i have unrealistic expectations on that end.
edit: i also dont know which lower halfs im looking for all i know is im not looking to spend and arm and a leg on it (meaning i know i wont be getting color matched steel half doors)

Last edited by Ryan1023; 02-07-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:01 PM
JK Freak

Check these out. https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/f...nxkBflLOroW3Vz
Old 02-07-2019, 02:07 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

I had the impression OP was talking the factory half doors with uppers, and they were more worried about fitment with a soft top more than looking for the doors and uppers.

On a side note.....not sure about everyone else's experience, but I find non-factory half doors to be suitable for little more than trail doors. They rattle like crazy and only look finished from the outside. If I was putting on half doors for regular DD, I'd only go with a factory set.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I had the impression OP was talking the factory half doors with uppers, and they were more worried about fitment with a soft top more than looking for the doors and uppers.

On a side note.....not sure about everyone else's experience, but I find non-factory half doors to be suitable for little more than trail doors. They rattle like crazy and only look finished from the outside. If I was putting on half doors for regular DD, I'd only go with a factory set.
op here. Its a bit of both from your first statement. I have a hard top right now but the halfs and uppers are def gunna come after the soft top purchase, so this post was mainly a preempt so that i know im buying a soft top that will accept the half doors and uppers so to speak. And it was also to see what the best way to go via half doors. The link above helps, as well as im looking at a 2 pc door set that bestop sells
Old 02-11-2019, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

The Best Top uppers and factory surrounds are the best combo out there but definitely pricey.

I went with the Aries tube doors which look a lot like half doors but much more cost effective. For the uppers, I guess they would be nice to have and I get the intentions which is usually to provide cover in the rain and add some theft deterent.

Personally, I was never turned on by the uppers since I always check the weather report before going out doorless/topless and in the freak chance we get an unexpected rain, then I keep a tarp in the back with some bungie cords which I've only had to use once when I decided to leave my top off outside overnight when parked in my driveway. We got some rain overnight....tarp worked well.

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-11-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Soft top question