Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft top question

Old 02-28-2019, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got the Bestop soft doors for my JK.
I run a Trektop NX top in spring, summer and fall, usually in safari mode with side and back windows at home.
Also, I removed the carpets from my JK.
I carry the fabric half doors in case I get caught away from home in a downpour.
I love being doorless and topless, and at 65 years old, I don't wanna wrestle with the hard doors every other day.
I throw a cover over it at night, and if it's gonna rain, I'll put the soft doors on before the cover.

With that said, keep in mind, they do leak and are noisy, and I love the shit outa them. One of the best things I've bought for the JK.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by jdinny

That's a nice cover. Who makes it, and do they make a 4 door version?

Thinking that may work better than the tarp I use for the same purpose.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
That's a nice cover. Who makes it, and do they make a 4 door version?

Thinking that may work better than the tarp I use for the same purpose.
This is a cheap Smittybilt trail cover..
I think I paid 99 bucks for it two or three years ago from Quadratec
They do have one for a 4 door.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:26 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

For anyone that might consider it, I have the Quadratec "emergency top" for a 4dr. It's a total POS in regards to quality and construction. That said, it has saved me a couple times....you know, in one of those "something is better than nothing" ways. Better than a tarp, but the stitching is total crap. They should be ashamed to sell that for $120 or whatever. The one upside is it folds in to a tiny package you can keep in the jeep compared to many others that are big and bulky.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:03 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
For anyone that might consider it, I have the Quadratec "emergency top" for a 4dr. It's a total POS in regards to quality and construction. That said, it has saved me a couple times....you know, in one of those "something is better than nothing" ways. Better than a tarp, but the stitching is total crap. They should be ashamed to sell that for $120 or whatever. The one upside is it folds in to a tiny package you can keep in the jeep compared to many others that are big and bulky.

I am very sorry that you feel that way with the quality and constructions of this item. This emergency top was designed to be put on the Jeep for emergency situations while on the road as you said "something is better than nothing" type of deal. The emergency top is meant to be solely used in low speeds (under 35 miles per hour) and for a short distance trip until you can get to cover or get your top back onto the Jeep. If you need something for when the Jeep is sitting I would recommend the Covercraft or the Quadratec brand covers. https://www.quadratec.com/categories/jeep_soft_tops/covers

For emergency coverage for while the vehicle is moving there is not many options out there. I will pass this information along to our Product Design Team to see if they can take this information and improve this cover for the over all design.

Thank you and have a great day,
Hailey
Old 03-12-2019, 12:57 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by quadratec
I am very sorry that you feel that way with the quality and constructions of this item. This emergency top was designed to be put on the Jeep for emergency situations while on the road as you said "something is better than nothing" type of deal. The emergency top is meant to be solely used in low speeds (under 35 miles per hour) and for a short distance trip until you can get to cover or get your top back onto the Jeep. If you need something for when the Jeep is sitting I would recommend the Covercraft or the Quadratec brand covers. https://www.quadratec.com/categories/jeep_soft_tops/covers

For emergency coverage for while the vehicle is moving there is not many options out there. I will pass this information along to our Product Design Team to see if they can take this information and improve this cover for the over all design.

Thank you and have a great day,
Hailey
Hailey, appreciate your response and that you guys are monitoring threads in which your name might come up. My beef isn't so much use, cuz the top is what it is. I did experiment driving on a road with my house when I got it (only about 30mph) to see if it would be functional in that situation. I would advise against doing so for anyone that gets it, or at least keep it under 20mph. Those straps start to beat around and 1) I wouldn't want them slapping against my paint, and 2) I don't think the stitching attaching the straps is going to take the beating. My stitching comment is really about the stitching connecting the sections of the top, specifically the back sections. Just like a soft top, you have to pull the back taught and clip parts under the tub rail to secure it. When you do that, it really stresses the stitching and you can see it starting to pull apart.....at least on mine. Given the material it is made of, I would expect about the same quality stitching as the cheapest tent purchased at Walmart, but I think it falls short of that. On the plus side, this does fold up so small that you can keep it in a glove box or under a seat, and it did come with 2 ponchos! . I have not used it in a couple years as my jeep is no longer a DD, but I've probably used it 3-4 times, so it was worth having. Would be better prices around $75-80 though IMO.

Quick Reply: Soft top question