Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft Top Wind Pressure

Old 06-17-2018, 09:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top Wind Pressure

Hey,
I am just here for an opinion on my soft top. I have had my JK for a few days. I ran it with the soft top half retracted a few times (city and highway approx 60mph max so far). I noticed the soft top has a parachute effect with the wind. I wasn't sure if this may cause problems or potentially warp the soft top frame if the wind had enough pressure at high speeds over time.

any advice or experience would be great
Thanks!
Brad

New forum user, if this was already posted somewhere in this world....sorry! lol

Last edited by Just_Kidding; 06-17-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The factory manual says not to open the sunrider over speeds of 25mph (if I'm recalling correctly)....but, open the two zippers on the rear window almost all the way up the sides and it will vent a lot of that air out. I've been doing it that way for a while and I haven't noticed a tweaked frame and certainly no more parachute/ marshmallow look.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure of damage but anytime I fold the front of the soft top back I go ahead and remove the windows too.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool. Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I just found out my rear window zipper is broken (rolls eyes at car dealer, I should have checked). I am able to completely unzip all but an inch of the rear window so it does fold completely in so its not too bad(it basically unzips to where both zipperheads will touch on the bottom left of the window. I am going to buy a couple folder clips to clamp the soft top together so it prevents the parachute effect while taking your suggestion and remove the rear window. I think it'll turn out fine. If it bends the rails over time, oh well, I want to get a different style top eventually anyway.

Thanks dudes and/or dudettes,
Brad

Quick Reply: Soft Top Wind Pressure