Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft top for winter or buy a hard top?

Old 10-28-2013, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top for winter or buy a hard top?

Debating on buying a hard top for the winter weather. Is it worth it or will soft top do jus fine. I live in nj the winters arent usually too crazy
Old 10-28-2013, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

I have had a soft top on mine for 3 years...no issues with it..
Old 10-28-2013, 09:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I survived a brutal Idaho winter last year with my soft top. The heater is so damn hot it stays plenty warm. There are the occasional leaks with the soft top but oh well.
I thought about getting a hard top, but I think id rather get a different soft top if anything.

Sent from my NSA listening device
Old 10-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Soft tops are fine for winter if you don't try to scrape ice off the windows.

The hard top retains heat longer than the soft top and is better for rear seat passengers.

The jeep heaters are so powerful that I haven't run the hard top on my 2 dr JK for the last 2 Montana winters and don't plan to this winter either. My cab is plenty warn with the heater running.

If I frequently had rear seat passengers, I'd run the hard top for the heat retention.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by stagedtrip
I survived a brutal Idaho winter last year with my soft top. The heater is so damn hot it stays plenty warm. There are the occasional leaks with the soft top but oh well. I thought about getting a hard top, but I think id rather get a different soft top if anything. Sent from my NSA listening device

Great soft top stays then lol. More $$$$$ to spend on mods 👍
Old 10-28-2013, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

Well, call me a (warm) wimp, but I would stick with the hardtop. I went through two Colorado winters with my '97 soft top and didn't like it. With the hardtop you have a rear defroster in addition to retaining more heat. You can always switch to soft top in summer, assuming you have a place to store the hard top. Just my .02 cents...
Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
Soft tops are fine for winter if you don't try to scrape ice off the windows.

The hard top retains heat longer than the soft top and is better for rear seat passengers.

The jeep heaters are so powerful that I haven't run the hard top on my 2 dr JK for the last 2 Montana winters and don't plan to this winter either. My cab is plenty warn with the heater running.

If I frequently had rear seat passengers, I'd run the hard top for the heat retention.
I took a plastic coupler from an old bunkbed attached a dryer hose to one end , pulled off the vent cover and attached the other end there and ran it to.the back seat when I had to take my girls anywhere when it was below 10°. Kind of a ghetto fix but it worked like a charm, with a little effort and time I'm sure I could make it more appealing to the eye, but I won't. Only reason I did this was id have to blast the heater to make it warm for them in the back while roasting myself.

Sent from my NSA listening device
Old 10-28-2013, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by stagedtrip
I took a plastic coupler from an old bunkbed attached a dryer hose to one end , pulled off the vent cover and attached the other end there and ran it to.the back seat when I had to take my girls anywhere when it was below 10°. Kind of a ghetto fix but it worked like a charm, with a little effort and time I'm sure I could make it more appealing to the eye, but I won't. Only reason I did this was id have to blast the heater to make it warm for them in the back while roasting myself. Sent from my NSA listening device

Lol good thinking. I hardly ever have anyone in the back But am worried with cracking windows
Old 10-28-2013, 10:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like having options. Changing tops isn't difficult, especially with a buddy. I usually run my hardtop from Thanksgiving to March/April. Last year it was -6 degrees in Tahoe in the mornings & after a heavy snowfall I feel more comfortable with the hardtop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1807057605.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	508639

Last edited by TURTLECON; 10-28-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

I had a 2005 TJ and never had a hard top. A friend of mine is still running the original soft top from that Jeep. It is looking pretty ragged but no cracked windows on it.

Quick Reply: Soft top for winter or buy a hard top?