JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Soft tops: Frameless vs. Frames (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/soft-tops-frameless-vs-frames-332485/)

reedVL721 04-05-2016 08:37 AM

Soft tops: Frameless vs. Frames

I just bought my first wrangler yesterday, I've had a 94' grand Cherokee for almost 3 years now and have finally saved up enough money to upgrade. The new jeep only came with a hard top, no soft top. So that is the first thing I am buying to go on it. I'm stuck between frameless and no frame. I did test drive a '10 JK with a stock soft top in the rain and it was leaking next to the b pillar on the passenger side and dripping all over that front passenger seat. Is that normal? If so, will the same happen with a frameless top? I have looked around and do like the look of the frameless top much better. However they seem more complicated to get on, especially considering I'm a 5'2" 19 year old girl. Just wondering how they compare to each other, Thanks.

cabinfever13 04-05-2016 09:13 AM

I have a factory hard top and a factory soft top (w/ frame). My hard top leaks a bit on the driver side A pillar. My soft top does not leak anywhere. From what I've read, it's kind of a crap shoot on what will leak and what won't. It seems like the soft tops might be a little less leak prone.

I would say the Jeep you drove might have been able to have the leak stopped with some adjustment, but there may have been something wrong with the top.

In a nutshell, don't hesitate on a soft top, they don't all leak.

jnelson214 04-05-2016 01:21 PM

I have used my soft top only since 2010 and I have never had a leak. I would say that something was wrong with the other top.

IMO, frame beats frameless, i would worry about pockets of water build up with the frameless.

catahoula 04-05-2016 02:29 PM

I have been very happy with my frameless Bestop Trektop NX. The factory sucks IMHO due to the design with the zippers. The NX has straight zippers which makes it less likely for them to bind and screw up.

crusaderJK 04-05-2016 03:11 PM

Considering you're a 5'2" 19 year old girl, let me know if you need help installing the top. :cool:

reedVL721 04-05-2016 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by catahoula (Post 4204661)
I have been very happy with my frameless Bestop Trektop NX. The factory sucks IMHO due to the design with the zippers. The NX has straight zippers which makes it less likely for them to bind and screw up.

Thanks. I think I'm going to go with the NX. Haven't heard anything but good things about them

catahoula 04-05-2016 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by reedVL721 (Post 4204679)
Thanks. I think I'm going to go with the NX. Haven't heard anything but good things about them

Yup!

I have not gotten one yet, but I would recommend a window storage bag as well. Apparently Bestop does not make one for the NX, but I have found that a company called Clover Patch makes one that states works with the NX top.

Clover Patch - Window Roll and Storage Bag - Fits 2007 to 2016 JK Wrangler and Rubicon - 4WD.com

zstairlessone 04-05-2016 06:26 PM

Easy to just take the windows out and you have a Bikini top if you go with the Trektop. Good choice.

Welcome to the Forum!!

reedVL721 04-05-2016 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by zstairlessone (Post 4204745)
Easy to just take the windows out and you have a Bikini top if you go with the Trektop. Good choice. Welcome to the Forum!!

Thanks!

AirJordan613 04-06-2016 07:56 AM

I've heard countless good things about the trektop nx and similar tops. Sounds like you can't go wrong there. My experience with the factory top has also been excellent. I've had a factory top on my '08 since '10 (got the newer cable style) and I've been extremely pleased. No zipper issues and doesn't leak a drop. Many good top options out there. I was able to pick up my factory top brand new for $500 with all hardware which also helped since I was 16 when I purchased the top back in 2010. I use the bestop window roll up for my windows.