Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

sound deadener

Old 11-11-2012, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sound deadener

I am looking for the cheapest, most effective sound deadener for my jk. Im trying to quite my tire noise, so my wife will enjoy the jeep as much as I do. Any suggestions
Old 11-11-2012, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ear plugs for the wife.

Problem solved.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

Im hoping to use that as a last resort, but it would certainly be the cheapest
Old 11-11-2012, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those Hothead Headliners are supposed to shave off a few decibels, but I can't personally vouch for them. For hard tops only, but they're not too expensive.

I'm sure there's a DIY equivalent out there, too. Possibly on YouTube.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

I think most of the noise comes from the firewall and floor pan. Im gonna see if theres
Old 11-11-2012, 03:42 PM
JK Newbie

I think most of the noise comes from the firewall and floor pan. Im gonna see if theres some kind of liquid roll on stuff or something like that
Old 11-11-2012, 11:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by charliediesel
I am looking for the cheapest, most effective sound deadener for my jk. Im trying to quite my tire noise, so my wife will enjoy the jeep as much as I do. Any suggestions
I have had extremely good results using automotive grade bitumen based sound deadening panels.
They are self-adhesive, flexible to take on the contours and are quite inexpensive.
In my part of the world they come in 20 inch x 20 inch panels and .11 inch thick and cost under 10 US$ each.
They effectively alter the resonant frequency of the sheet panels which in turn doesn't transmit the sound.

It is the same material extensively used in high end cars.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by desertbuzz
I have had extremely good results using automotive grade bitumen based sound deadening panels.
They are self-adhesive, flexible to take on the contours and are quite inexpensive.
In my part of the world they come in 20 inch x 20 inch panels and .11 inch thick and cost under 10 US$ each.
They effectively alter the resonant frequency of the sheet panels which in turn doesn't transmit the sound.

It is the same material extensively used in high end cars.
That's interesting.
Does it reduce tire noise without any treatment of the top as well ?
Old 11-12-2012, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

This guy used some "aluminum water membrane" thing thats usually used in construction... Vid here:

http://youtu.be/ZaE7RfkN1Eo
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GJeep
That's interesting.
Does it reduce tire noise without any treatment of the top as well ?
Yes, Very effective. I'm telling you it's what you'll find in abundance in Mercedes, BMW, Lexus etc...
Back in the days, I was intrigued by what makes those cars so silent so I spent a lot of time in junkyards ripping the interiors of those brands apart. One of the key materials straight to the metal is bitumen based sound deadener.
(As a rule, there is no ONE material that will be a cure for all as different frequencies need different treatment)

"Dynamat" is a similar material that is quite effective as well ... but lots of it is needed as it is not as thick as let's say " VABER " to name one brand. Thickness plays a role and density plays a role.

For safety, it is important to use materials that are approved for automotive use.
In my job I deal a lot with sound studios, so I know a "thing or two" about sound proofing.

Quick Reply: sound deadener