JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Spontaneous combustion in Australia (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/spontaneous-combustion-australia-55159/)

stumpygq 09-18-2008 02:09 AM

Spontaneous combustion in Australia

G'day everyone,

Have just seen a report on our current affairs , referring to jeep wrangler,cherekee , spontaneously combusting during the early stages of ownership . No comment from JEEP .:eek2: Not joking .

CAN ANYONE SHED ANY LIGHT ON THIS SITUATION , or of any similar incidents around the world .

Look forward to any constructive comments .:)

Cheers Stumpy

Mark Doiron 09-18-2008 04:41 AM

G-day, Stumpygq! Hey, I hope you're not planning on writing up how we can all burn up our JKs--that's something most of us would rather avoid! LOL.

There have been a couple JKs that have burnt up that have been discussed on JK-Forum. Check out these threads:

Another Burnt Up JK?

My Brother's JK Caught Fire ...

Unofficial JK-Forum consensus is that this is somehow related to auto transmission models; I don't believe there have been any reports of manuals catching fire like this.

DallasJeeper 09-18-2008 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by stumpygq (Post 691270)
No comment from JEEP

:naw: That's the part that scares me. I cannot believe they don't have anything to say about it. I have an auto and it freaks me out to think that it may just burtst into flames. :what?:

neopj3 09-18-2008 06:32 AM

I was waiting at AutoZone last night for the guy to give me back my oil catch pan and saw a universal transmission cooler and thought about getting it and installing it due to the fires assoc with the auto tranny's. I drive a standard, but it would be one less thing for me to worry about. I was in Colorado last month and on the drive back to Denver from Leadville I saw BIG truck and SUV after truck and suv pulled over because there radiators poped! Retards needed to look cool and drive up through Eisenhower Tunnel with the windows up and A/C blasting!:taunt::ok: Hard to cool like a bad ass rolling on 28" rims on the side of the road with coolent all over the highway with the hood up looking around trying to find the radiator cap. :rotflmao1:I saw more JEEPs in ten minutes in Colorado then I do in a week in Austin, Dang I miss Colorado. But back to the Trans....... Why didn't JEEP just install tranny coolers from the factory on all Wranglers? Granted not all of us will need them, but it would give the tranny that much more reliablity and would prob save JEEP a tonn of money in the long run. Suddenly that scene in Fight Club comes to mind where he's talking about the cost of a recall equation.................... kinda makes up wonder huh:thinking:

Brad2893 09-18-2008 07:24 AM

Carry a fire extinguisher, I guess.

Mark Doiron 09-18-2008 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by neopj3 (Post 691466)
... saw a universal transmission cooler and thought about getting it and installing it due to the fires assoc with the auto tranny's. I drive a standard ...

They have a transmission cooler that will fit a standard? :thinking:

derff96963 09-18-2008 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron (Post 691558)
They have a transmission cooler that will fit a standard? :thinking:

Of course you could but you would also need a pump to circulate the oil. Not to mention an inlet and outlet fittings installed in the tranny housing.

possumface 09-18-2008 09:20 AM

wow, guess i will have to keep full coverage auto insurance for the life of the jeep :thinking:

stumpygq 09-18-2008 01:13 PM

Thanx guys for your responses ,

Only had my jk unlimited for fortnight , and had no previous knowledge of this problem until yesterday . But it seems it is not only restricted to wranglers,but all brands of jeep .( wranglar,cherekee,liberty).

Only know of about 3 burning over here ,1 wrangler, and 2 cherekees.

spartan99 09-18-2008 01:19 PM

Well at least we'll all go out with a bang. :drum: