Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Squeak during clutch peddle travel

Old 02-26-2019, 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak during clutch peddle travel

Hi all. I have been doing a lot of searching on the forum but I cant seem to find anyone that has had my same issue.

Something is squeaking when I depress the clutch peddle it in the cold. It only squeaks when the clutch peddle itself is being pushed in (sounds like a kid's or dog's squeaky toy). Everything is quiet as normal when the peddle it is fully in, when it is fully out, and when the clutch peddle is moving back out. It did this last winter and came back this winter. It seems to only do it when the ambient temps are near or below freezing. Has anyone seen this before? Is the throw out bearing failing or is it just the grease/lubricant failing after years of dust, salt, and use? Is this a replace everything ASAP issue or a only replace if the noise gets annoying?

On a possibly related issue, my clutch is starting to grab just a little bit when it is cold, wet, and just starting out. Once I have driven a few miles, the grabbing goes away. It doesn't really grab when it is warm and dry out.

Jeep details: 2007 2dr Rubicon with 60k miles; 35 inch tires, lots of heavy bumpers, winch, and skid plates.

Thank you all for your help!
-Jon
Old 02-26-2019, 04:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Pretty common on the 3.6 6speeds. The the slave cylinder is plastic, the clutch fork is metal. Squeaks like hell. Mines done it forever. I replaced the stock one to try to get rid of it, didn't go away, the replacement failed, replaced it again still have the noise.

Don't think there is anything that can be done about it. Greasing the snot out of it did nothing.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Common on the 3.8 6speeds too..
Old 02-26-2019, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I haven't owned a manual JK but every stick I owned in the past be it a truck or car, it would squeak when pushing down and letting back up on the clutch pedal. I just assumed that was the norm for stick shifts.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I haven't owned a manual JK but every stick I owned in the past be it a truck or car, it would squeak when pushing down and letting back up on the clutch pedal. I just assumed that was the norm for stick shifts.
First vehicle I've noticed it in. Maybe I've just been lucky.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I spent a lot of time and effort trying to chase this down. New slave cylinder. New master cylinder. Couple clutch rebuilds in the last quarter million miles. But, the squeak comes and goes. Now, I consider it part of the character of my Jeep. If it bothers you too much, you don't have your music loud enough. ;-)
Old 03-01-2019, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you all for the great info! I thought my clutch was about to die but it sounds like it is just another normal Jeep squeak!
Old 05-16-2020, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Default Fixed Clutch Pedal Squeak

2013 JKU 85,000 miles. Been researching this for about a week. Finally tried the cheapest easiest fix yesterday. Replaced/flushed/bled the brake fluid with new yesterday. Apparently it just had air in the lines. Clutch is quiet now. Can’t even believe it myself. I would of swore it was gonna be a bushing on the clutch pedal or master/slave cylinder by how it sounded.

Quick Reply: Squeak during clutch peddle travel