Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Steering Clunk when wet

Old 02-25-2019, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Clunk when wet

When driving around at low speed I noticed a clunking sometimes when turning right and/or left. I ordered and replaced both upper and lower ball joints a few months ago to attempt to fix the issue as i have had this 2007 JKU since she was brand new. I am just over 94K miles so I expect many of the suspension and steering components to be worn as I have upgraded to 33x12.5 since a few months after I bought her. I have a 2.5" Teraflex budget boost so nothing crazy. I have also had to replace the steering stabilizer due to a minor trail injury in Anza Borrego. Nothing is bent, but now it clunks whenever it gets wet outside... moisture makes it clunk... any ideas?
thanks
Jason
Old 02-25-2019, 10:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Have you inspected all other steering components like TRE's, DL, and TB while someone is turning the steering wheel? Can you replicate this sound at will (when stationary or while moving)? If while moving, does speed matter? Do you think the moisture could just be a coincidence? Do you feel anything at all when the noise happens? One thought is to also look at the intermediate shaft ahead of the steering box. there is a joint in there that seems to cause a clunking noise on older vehicles if I recall. If it's not that steering shaft joint, you might do some more investigative trouble shooting to narrow down when the noise happens or does not happen, and under what conditions. Can you record the sound? I'd think if it was a u-joint, you'd be having more symptoms.

Quick Reply: Steering Clunk when wet