Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Surcharge or buy newer JK?

Old 10-06-2016, 03:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
Drove a 3.6 today. Yeah you're right. This time I drove it hard it is much faster holy crap. Pretty impressive. I baby the gas though so I don't need it but yeah if you want gobs of power that motor is for you.
I track every gas fill up since I bought my 2012 brand new. 2012 JKU sport. Manual trans, 3.73 rear. Most daily driving is not highway. My average mpg over 79,000 miles is about 17.3. In a few weeks I'll be posting an update. Each time it gets to X0,000 miles, I post my data & charts on here for mpg.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnyswell
Hey all!

I'm battling with a bunch of ideas in my head on what I want to do. I have a 2011 JKU Sahara 3.73 gearing manual trans. I'm really upset with the lack of get-up-and-go on the 2011 and previous JK-JKU models. The 3.8 is just a fat, heavy turtle especially with a manual trans. I'm debating on throwing a RIPP Supercharger in it to see if that will give me the extra juice I want. Down side of that is that I would shell out about $5,000 for the supercharger with not knowing what I would get. On the other hand I'm also contemplating on just selling it and using the cash to buy a 2012+ model 2-door JK with the 3.6.

Anybody have some input or their $0.02 on this? Any experience with a supercharger in a 2011 or earlier JKU manual?

Thanks all!

-Johnny
A couple of questions:

How much longer do you have to go before your Jeep is paid off?

What is the delta with the payments going to be?

I have a 2011 JKUS with LoD bumpers and sliders, Warn Zeon 8S, 35 Nitto Trail Grapplers on ATX Slabs and 5.13 gears and the Jeep does just fine for me. I am not about speed in my Jeep but the experience.

I ask the questions to help better spend your money. If you Jeep is almost paid for, to me it does not make sense to take on another loan and pay on for 5-6 years when you can take the money and save for a motor swap. The other reason is you know your Jeep and probably personalized it to your liking and if you were to trade it in you would not get close to your investment rather fair auction value which is drastically less. If you want to sell it I would strongly suggest selling as a private seller and not taking it to the dealership. You will recoupe some if not all the mods you have done. The other option is to take as close to stock as you can and then trade it in. that way you will have the mods ready for the new Jeep.

R/
Will
Old 10-07-2016, 06:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Canvas
A couple of questions:

How much longer do you have to go before your Jeep is paid off?

What is the delta with the payments going to be?

I have a 2011 JKUS with LoD bumpers and sliders, Warn Zeon 8S, 35 Nitto Trail Grapplers on ATX Slabs and 5.13 gears and the Jeep does just fine for me. I am not about speed in my Jeep but the experience.

I ask the questions to help better spend your money. If you Jeep is almost paid for, to me it does not make sense to take on another loan and pay on for 5-6 years when you can take the money and save for a motor swap. The other reason is you know your Jeep and probably personalized it to your liking and if you were to trade it in you would not get close to your investment rather fair auction value which is drastically less. If you want to sell it I would strongly suggest selling as a private seller and not taking it to the dealership. You will recoupe some if not all the mods you have done. The other option is to take as close to stock as you can and then trade it in. that way you will have the mods ready for the new Jeep.

R/
Will
It sometimes takes will power to not get sold by the latest and greatest. In 6 years the Pentastar will be considered outdated and people will be sacrificing smart spending for something newer. My 2008 JKU has the same power as the Pentastar for what I need, I get 18-21 mpg, is reliable and easy to work on, cheap to own, does offroad and onroad what a new Jeep can do, is paid off, runs perfectly, etc. Jeeps are like Porsches. Doesn't matter what model you have they are all great. It is easy to enjoy any Jeep. And the new ones aren't without their own set of problems too. But if it's worth it to you to essentially spend upward of $20k + for what boils down to only a motor and trans upgrade then go for it.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spartan99
I have driven the 3.6. A minivan motor is s minivan motor. Same mpg, maybe a hair more power. Am I missing something?
I have a 2 door stock set up on Rubicon wheels and tires 3.73 gears and a Sprintex SC 09 4 door with 37s and 5.13 gears. While the 3.6 is a better engine, neither of them would I consider powerful. Driving the 2 door with the 3.6 and a superchargered 3.8....I'd put a v8 in a 4 door. Cost and the fact my setup is okay keeps me from doing it.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 35's and 4:88's auto jku 3.8l and my wifey has a Dodge Durango with a 3.6 Pentastar.

Hers is smoother shifting and way faster, especially from 40-60 mph.

But I fly by traffic with my 4:88 gears, and get over 15 mpg's if I ride on the highway with my gas sucking Gobi ranger rack. I think it's a perfect gear and tire ratio for where I live. A super charger would be fun too, but I find the noise is annoying.

I have definitely thought about trading in for the newer engine and a rubicon model, but for me and my family it's smarter to finish paying off the jeep and use the money for other fun stuff.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lot of good information in this thread, I have a 3.8 that I think is horrible but in the summer I drive a turbo buick- hard to compare- My plan is to do a gear change and install lockers when the time is right. My wife has a '15 auto, and I want to drive that all the time, only because i'm getting tired of shifting. Mine also uses oil like crazy so I'm going to try changing the pcv. I can't justify a V8 only because of the cost, and I'm not sold on the superchargers. My thoughts, do gearing change with the anticipation of what you want to run for tires, then save for a V8.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Pleepleus
Lot of good information in this thread, I have a 3.8 that I think is horrible but in the summer I drive a turbo buick- hard to compare- My plan is to do a gear change and install lockers when the time is right. My wife has a '15 auto, and I want to drive that all the time, only because i'm getting tired of shifting. Mine also uses oil like crazy so I'm going to try changing the pcv. I can't justify a V8 only because of the cost, and I'm not sold on the superchargers. My thoughts, do gearing change with the anticipation of what you want to run for tires, then save for a V8.
I was burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles on my '07 w/ 100k miles when I bought it 4 years ago. I changed the PCV valve and it stopped it completely. I believe that's part of the reason I picked it up so cheap! It's a PITA to get out, so be prepared for some swearing if you do it yourself. I finally got it out after latching onto it with vice grips, and using a pry bar for leverage. The new one will snap in with the help of a rubber mallet and a socket. You should feel it snap into place when it's fully seated. Hope it works!
Old 10-09-2016, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the tip, i know what I'm in for now
Old 10-10-2016, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any data on longevity of a 3.8 or 3.6 with a supercharger or turbo? IE is there a threshold where maybe you shouldn't do it based on mileage?

Quick Reply: Surcharge or buy newer JK?