Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

TeraFlex tailgate tire carrier?

Old 04-23-2012, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
First off: This kit is NOT a Re-enforcement for the hinges/tail gate. It replaces the factory hinge pieces.
Second: You Do Not have to re-use the stock carrier, you can use the new adj spare tire mount.
Yeah, pay attention guys, for only an additional $199.99 you can use the NEW adj spare tire mount...
Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Love the design.

But seriously, would I need to use the new adj mount, to hang my 37's, if I do not run a rear bumper?
I'm thinking not.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE="RodCyn"]
Yeah, pay attention guys, for only an additional $199.99 you can use the NEW adj spare tire mount...
Sorry, couldn't help myself. Love the design.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off: This kit is NOT a Re-enforcement for the hinges/tail gate. It replaces the factory hinge pieces.
Second: You Do Not have to re-use the stock carrier, you can use the new adj spare tire mount.
So it's a stronger reinforced tail gate hinge with an optional tire carrier?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would say in your case that you'll want the adj tire mount #4838130, it has more range vs. the slim 1.5" adapter plate has.
I figured I would need it, but I wanted to confirm measurements before ordering. My JK is overseas, and shipping is so expensive, I can't afford to have it arrive and not work. Is there any way to get a measurement from you guys, or at least test fit a 35" tire and see if it clears the bottom of tailgate? I would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ReconJeep
I figured I would need it, but I wanted to confirm measurements before ordering. My JK is overseas, and shipping is so expensive, I can't afford to have it arrive and not work. Is there any way to get a measurement from you guys, or at least test fit a 35" tire and see if it clears the bottom of tailgate? I would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

I have the same problem.
I have an ARB bumper and Mickey Thompson 315*70 R17 (35).

Will I need adj spare tire mount??
Old 04-24-2012, 07:28 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by masterd78
Live here in Salt Lake, when can I come pick mine up?
Probably later this week for the main carrier. Give us a call.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by pmaia
I have the same problem.
I have an ARB bumper and Mickey Thompson 315*70 R17 (35).

Will I need adj spare tire mount??
With a deep cut for a spare like how the ARB is, you can get away with the 1.5" slim plate #4904200. However with the new adj spare mount, you will be able to raise it up more for extra clearance and suck it up against your tailgate more if you would like.

Originally Posted by RodCyn
Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Love the design.

But seriously, would I need to use the new adj mount, to hang my 37's, if I do not run a rear bumper?
I'm thinking not.
Correct you do not need one since your not running a rear bumper. However it would be nice to have that spare against the tailgate and raise it up some, for better ground clearance.

Last edited by TeraFlex; 04-24-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

We ran a early version of the #4838130 adj tire mount with the 37's (mine) 38's on several co-workers.

Ok I was wondering if the 37/38 size limit is just clearance or weight.
I am considering a 40 in the future and my only option is your carrier or one other company because I'm running a poison spyder BFH and I cut my frame inwards plus I have a 1.25 BL so I think clearing a 40 will be fine just wondering if the weight will handle it
I'm currently at 118lbs with tire and rim and the 40 I'm looking at I'd only 7 lbs heavier
Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

There are a lot of complaints about the price of the complete tire carrier set up is teraflex going to address this issue at any point or just ignore all the comments? It looks like every one (myself included) thinks its a great solid well made product its just overpriced and for that price it may be more cost effective to buy a bumper with tire carrier.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ncbmx64
There are a lot of complaints about the price of the complete tire carrier set up is teraflex going to address this issue at any point or just ignore all the comments? It looks like every one (myself included) thinks its a great solid well made product its just overpriced and for that price it may be more cost effective to buy a bumper with tire carrier.
Looks like, that is a negative, sir.
They wont even acknowledge that its not actually a tire carrier lol

Last edited by FlameRedJK; 04-24-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Quick Reply: TeraFlex tailgate tire carrier?