JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Teraflex tire carrier issue! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/teraflex-tire-carrier-issue-291464/)

-Buck- 12-01-2013 10:04 AM

Teraflex tire carrier issue!

4 Attachment(s)
Alright... So I purchased the Teraflex Hinged Carrier and Adjustable Spare Tire Mounting Kit a little less than a year ago and have been pleased with it, BUT here's my issue. I went outside this morning to rotate my tires and when I took my spare off I noticed that the adjustable tire mount has a crack along one of the welds. There website says that it's rated for up to a 37". I"ve only ever had a 35" BFG KM2 on it.

Attachment 513771Attachment 513772Attachment 513773

Has anyone else had an issue like this? I tried calling teraflex but they are closed on the weekends... Any thoughts are appreciate. Definitely feeling a little disappointed.

Strainger 12-01-2013 10:25 AM

You may have purchased one of their earlier carriers. There were some weak spots in the original design that are being addressed in an ongoing evolution.

Give them a call on Monday or e-mail them with a message and pics. They will probably get back to you within the week with an offer to send out a replacement part with the newer design.

BubbaJK2012 12-01-2013 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Strainger (Post 3770970)
You may have purchased one of their earlier carriers. There were some weak spots in the original design that are being addressed in an ongoing evolution. Give them a call on Monday or e-mail them with a message and pics. They will probably get back to you within the week with an offer to send out a replacement part with the newer design.

Yeah get with Joe Thompson and he will take care of you

robsjeep9 12-01-2013 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Strainger (Post 3770970)
You may have purchased one of their earlier carriers. There were some weak spots in the original design that are being addressed in an ongoing evolution.

Give them a call on Monday or e-mail them with a message and pics. They will probably get back to you within the week with an offer to send out a replacement part with the newer design.

I'll say it again they should spend less of our hard earned money on they stupid ass videos and more on their products (and I can say that owning Teraflex parts). What next a 35 or 37" tire flying off killing an entire family in a car behind them one day!!!!!! Sounds like they're starting to believe the hype on all their products starting to coast now. So glad I went with a different carrier for my newly purchased 37" MTR's

k0260 12-01-2013 01:32 PM

I would also suggest sending them a PM here with these pics you've posted, may get a a quicker response.

BubbaJK2012 12-01-2013 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by robsjeep9 (Post 3771183)
I'll say it again they should spend less of our hard earned money on they stupid ass videos and more on their products (and I can say that owning Teraflex parts). What next a 35 or 37" tire flying off killing an entire family in a car behind them one day!!!!!! Sounds like they're starting to believe the hype on all their products starting to coast now. So glad I went with a different carrier for my newly purchased 37" MTR's

I've been running a 39 Krawler on mine and no issues

etl330 12-01-2013 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by robsjeep9 (Post 3771183)

Their videos are top notch and I'd imagine are an enormous benefit to many of their buyers. I know I for one bought the Teraflex because I could see the ease of installation in their video and I'd bet I'm not alone. That being said, they should be open on weekends to help out us weekend warriors. A lot of guys wrench on the weekends, they should at least have someone taking tech calls and emails.

BubbaJK2012 12-01-2013 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by etl330 (Post 3771204)
Their videos are top notch and I'd imagine are an enormous benefit to many of their buyers. I know I for one bought the Teraflex because I could see the ease of installation in their video and I'd bet I'm not alone. That being said, they should be open on weekends to help out us weekend warriors. A lot of guys wrench on the weekends, they should at least have someone taking tech calls and emails.

Joe Thompson is pretty good at responding to emails as well as others working for TF. I've always had great support when it comes to them. I've install a lot of their products on my personal jeep as well as helping out others from suspension lifts or tire carriers.

jkjurny 12-01-2013 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by BubbaJK2012 (Post 3771199)
I've been running a 39 Krawler on mine and no issues

I hope you check yours regularly. Your tire flying off and hitting someone... Just can't imagine having too live with that.

I've read at least 4 other posts about the carrier breaking. I just run the stock carrier since I have 35s, but I've installed Daystar bumps on both sides. I check my carrier every time I fuel up, and then a full inspection with tire off every oil change.

BubbaJK2012 12-01-2013 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by jkjurny (Post 3771256)
I hope you check yours regularly. Your tire flying off and hitting someone... Just can't imagine having too live with that. I've read at least 4 other posts about the carrier breaking. I just run the stock carrier since I have 35s, but I've installed Daystar bumps on both sides. I check my carrier every time I fuel up, and then a full inspection with tire off every oil change.

Yeah well I am willing to install on other peoples Jeeps that's a given. There's a lot of ignorant people out there installing stuff that shouldn't be on this forum. Even done of the Moderators take their stuff to people to install because they know what is fact. It was known that if a person is going to run a larger tire to let TF know and they get the HD upgrade right away. I am saying that there are lots of people don't research or ask questions first.