Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Thinking about building/ordering Jeep

Old 10-19-2013, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about building/ordering Jeep

Hi everyone,

(Sorry this is so long and has so many questions. Whatever you could provide insight on is much appreciated).

Background

You may have read my post the other day. I basically explained that I'm looking to buy my first Jeep, haven't had much luck used, and talked about some options on new ones I had from a local dealer. I'm basically looking for a '13 or '14 2 door Sport or Sport S. It's main purpose realistically would be my daily driver, but I'd like to take it off road from time to time when I get the opportunity.

I was driving to see him today and maybe make a deal. I turned around and went home however because some of you said not to settle, and I knew that with the few I was looking at with him, I wasn't as happy/excited as I should be. I could have this thing a really long time, so I wanna be happy with it. I contacted him and told him I'd still love to buy one off him, but I gotta wait for the right one.

Questions

Which leads me to my next idea: I'm thinking the best way to get exactly everything I'm looking for will be to have them build one for me. It might cost a little more money than some of the ones they have promotions on, but to have one I'm happy with should be more than worth it for years to come.

So I have a few questions about building/ordering custom ones:

- First of all; has anyone done it. Was it a good experience. Do you recommend it?

- The next thing I'm wondering about is options. There are some things I know I'd want, such as A/C and the 17" wheels and bigger tires. Then there's some I'm unsure about:

1. I hear people say to get the 3.73 gear ratio over the 3.21. Frankly I'm not really sure what this means and why is it so important?
2. What exactly is the "connectivity group." Do you need this to have the input jack for your ipod? Or do they all have that?
3. Buying tops: Am I right in thinking that they all come with soft tops? What's the difference between the regular and premium soft tops? Do you recommend a hard top, even though where I am in SW Ontario we don't get the harshest winters? And how exactly does the dual-top package work?
4. I'd want to be able to tow at some point. Am I better off spending $475 now on the trailer tow group? Or just try to find a receiver hitch and whatever else I need aftermarket later on?
5. Anything else you recommend?

- Colours: I can already imagine how much I'm gonna be pulling my hair out over this. I've considered every colour on the map and can never seem to settle. I like white, red, some darker greys, and I'm actually really digging that Amp'd. I want something a little different but also something I won't regret. Any experience you've had with picking colours is helpful.

Thanks if you've made it this far.
I'm really looking forward to becoming part of your world.

Last edited by klucas31; 10-19-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:13 AM
JK Super Freak

I responded to your last post, but I'll try to answer as best I can. I have never custom ordered, but did tell the dealer exactly what I wanted and they had one in the lot with all of my desires. .

1. (Fyi...a lower ratio is the higher number) With a lower gear ratio the drive shaft (and thus the engine) turns more for each revolution of the wheel, delivering more power and torque to the wheel for any given speed. Lower ratios are generally desirable when going off-road. Higher ratios are better for freeway driving since they run at lower RPM’s and offer better fuel economy.

Changing tire size affects the final drive ratio. Switching from a 30″ tire to a 35″ tire changes the final drive ratio by about 17%. This may drop the engine out of its’ “power band” and result in poor performance and fuel economy. To restore performance you must change the gear ratio to compensate for the change in tire size. If you originally had 3.07 gears you need a ratio that is approximately 17% lower, such as 3.55. If you want to increase off road performance you might want a 4.10 or lower ratio.

2. I really can't answer, I have the upgraded touch screen with Nav, Bluetooth and all that good stuff. . Love the hands free calling. . My 07 was just a radio and cd player with an aux port for a headphone style plug in (yes you can hook up an ipod)

3. They do not all come with soft tops. I got my 07 with a hard top, and bought my 2012 with a soft top. . I went with the soft top the second time around because I wanted to go topless easier, but now I wish I would have went with the hard top and bought a soft top seperate because soft tops are pretty inexpensive compared to hard. Dual top option comes with both soft and hard.

4. On my 07 I had a hitch and electrical connectors added after I bought the Jeep for not very much money, but on the 12, it came with it. . I would just get it from factory and save yourself the trouble, over the course of a loan period, 475 dollars doesn't raise the monthly payment much.

5. My only recommendation, is drive one fully loaded, and tell the dealer the things you want from that one. . Try all the features, and decide if you like them, or if you would rather go with standard equipment. Also, get what you want, because you deserve it for the Money you pay for a new vehicle. .
Old 10-19-2013, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered my last jeep it was no problem. I sold my 07 first and 5 weeks later new jeep. For me the sport s package was a waste because i didnt want power widows or locks and wanted aftermarket tire and wheels, so why pay for 17 inch alum wheels that i would replace anyway. If you ever want to tow get the max tow package that will give you the 3.73 gear ratio. The dual top option gets you both tops. At delivery the soft top and parts will be inside the Jeep with the hard top on. You have to remove the hard top to get the soft top out and store it until you need it.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MarineArmyJeeper
I responded to your last post, but I'll try to answer as best I can. I have never custom ordered, but did tell the dealer exactly what I wanted and they had one in the lot with all of my desires. .

1. (Fyi...a lower ratio is the higher number) With a lower gear ratio the drive shaft (and thus the engine) turns more for each revolution of the wheel, delivering more power and torque to the wheel for any given speed. Lower ratios are generally desirable when going off-road. Higher ratios are better for freeway driving since they run at lower RPM’s and offer better fuel economy.

Changing tire size affects the final drive ratio. Switching from a 30″ tire to a 35″ tire changes the final drive ratio by about 17%. This may drop the engine out of its’ “power band” and result in poor performance and fuel economy. To restore performance you must change the gear ratio to compensate for the change in tire size. If you originally had 3.07 gears you need a ratio that is approximately 17% lower, such as 3.55. If you want to increase off road performance you might want a 4.10 or lower ratio.

2. I really can't answer, I have the upgraded touch screen with Nav, Bluetooth and all that good stuff. . Love the hands free calling. . My 07 was just a radio and cd player with an aux port for a headphone style plug in (yes you can hook up an ipod)

3. They do not all come with soft tops. I got my 07 with a hard top, and bought my 2012 with a soft top. . I went with the soft top the second time around because I wanted to go topless easier, but now I wish I would have went with the hard top and bought a soft top seperate because soft tops are pretty inexpensive compared to hard. Dual top option comes with both soft and hard.

4. On my 07 I had a hitch and electrical connectors added after I bought the Jeep for not very much money, but on the 12, it came with it. . I would just get it from factory and save yourself the trouble, over the course of a loan period, 475 dollars doesn't raise the monthly payment much.

5. My only recommendation, is drive one fully loaded, and tell the dealer the things you want from that one. . Try all the features, and decide if you like them, or if you would rather go with standard equipment. Also, get what you want, because you deserve it for the Money you pay for a new vehicle. .
Hey thanks a lot for your help.
Lots of good info in there. Appreciate it.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

- The next thing I'm wondering about is options. There are some things I know I'd want, such as A/C and the 17" wheels and bigger tires. Then there's some I'm unsure about:

1. I hear people say to get the 3.73 gear ratio over the 3.21. Frankly I'm not really sure what this means and why is it so important?

If you plan to get bigger than stock 255/17 tires, don't waste the extra money on 3.73 and then spend more money yet on an aftermarket re-gear. Same could be said for getting 17" wheels and 255 tires, but those come with the 24s group which is very nice to have on a daily driver. If you don't plan to re-gear, get the 3.73 for sure. Otherwise plan on a downshift every time you want to accelerate or there's any kind of uphill grade.
2. What exactly is the "connectivity group." Do you need this to have the input jack for your ipod? Or do they all have that?
Connectivity Group is a good thing. Wish I had it just so I could set the headlights to NOT come on every time I unlock the Jeep with keyless entry. Had to pay the dealer to turn this off on mine. They all have an aux input jack, but Connectivity Group also gives you iPod controls in the head unit - another very nice thing to have.
3. Buying tops: Am I right in thinking that they all come with soft tops? What's the difference between the regular and premium soft tops? Do you recommend a hard top, even though where I am in SW Ontario we don't get the harshest winters? And how exactly does the dual-top package work?
Just know that it is WAY cheaper to get both tops when you buy the Jeep than it is to add or change tops later. Pretty sure I'd want a hard top during winter anywhere north of the Canadian border.
4. I'd want to be able to tow at some point. Am I better off spending $475 now on the trailer tow group? Or just try to find a receiver hitch and whatever else I need aftermarket later on?
Tow Group gives you the hitch receiver, a connector, anti-sway programming, and the 3.73 gears. The receiver and connector can always be added. Anti-sway may or may not be useful. Anyone? Again, no point in paying for gears twice if you intend to get big tires and re-gear.

I've heard the 2014 will have diesel available. Definitely worth considering.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Freewill

If you plan to get bigger than stock 255/17 tires, don't waste the extra money on 3.73 and then spend more money yet on an aftermarket re-gear. Same could be said for getting 17" wheels and 255 tires, but those come with the 24s group which is very nice to have on a daily driver. If you don't plan to re-gear, get the 3.73 for sure. Otherwise plan on a downshift every time you want to accelerate or there's any kind of uphill grade.
Connectivity Group is a good thing. Wish I had it just so I could set the headlights to NOT come on every time I unlock the Jeep with keyless entry. Had to pay the dealer to turn this off on mine. They all have an aux input jack, but Connectivity Group also gives you iPod controls in the head unit - another very nice thing to have.
Just know that it is WAY cheaper to get both tops when you buy the Jeep than it is to add or change tops later. Pretty sure I'd want a hard top during winter anywhere north of the Canadian border.
Tow Group gives you the hitch receiver, a connector, anti-sway programming, and the 3.73 gears. The receiver and connector can always be added. Anti-sway may or may not be useful. Anyone? Again, no point in paying for gears twice if you intend to get big tires and re-gear.

I've heard the 2014 will have diesel available. Definitely worth considering.
That's great advice. Thanks very much.

Quick Reply: Thinking about building/ordering Jeep