Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

For those trading their Jeep for econoboxes...

Old 05-27-2008, 11:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those trading their Jeep for econoboxes...

What kind of value are you getting for your trade?

I'm getting offers of around $15,500 for my 2008 X, 2 Dr, Auto, Soft Top. I owe about $18,200 on it. I guess if I can't do better I'll just have to roll that loss into the next loan or pay the difference in cash.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:45 PM
JK Newbie

How long is it going to take you to make up the $2700 difference in gas? And what about what you're going to lose driving the next one off the lot? Why not just keep the Jeep?
Old 05-28-2008, 01:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I traded in my TJ a few years ago for an econobox Yaris and regretted every minute of it. Sold the Toyota and bought a JK , too bad about the gas but I love it.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:42 AM
JK Jedi

X3 on taking a big loss to save money. I am looking to ADD an economic daily driver, but trading the JK is not an option.

We started looking for a possible trade in of my fiances Liberty because she drives a lot and was complaining about gas, after running the numbers it just cannot be justified, especially since it will be paid off in less than 3 years (opposed to starting a brand new 5 year loan).
Old 05-28-2008, 04:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you trade, you'll be sorry. The rise in oil prices is an investment bubble. Like all investment bubbles, it'll burst before too long and the prices will drop.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

I fill up once a week; that equals out to about $55 at the pump or $3.70ish a gallon. If I were to be upside down by $3k on a trade it would be the equivalent of $6.50 give or take at the pump for the first year of the new loan and that’s not figuring in interest. If prices drop (wishful thinking) you just boned yourself in the ass. If they keep going up you may have made the right choice for the long haul.

The suck thing is that as the price of gas skyrockets the trade value on the bigger gas-guzzlers is going to drop. I know historically CJ and Wrangler have held their value but realistically the dealers in this day and age are not going to give you top dollar for something they might have a rough time pushing off their lot.

I love my Wrangler even with it’s leaky top and it's thirsty appetite. It’s my daily driver and I honestly don’t want to be squeezing my fat ass back in to a Mazda3 or something even smaller any time soon.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My GF Rhonda traded this Nissan Frontier 4x4 nismo for this Her 08 RubyJeep

BTW do NOT tow 1 rubicon with an other, IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

You could buy a real nice econo box for what you stand to loose if you do trade... I would buy with cash; a cheap, used econo box for your daily commute. You would have the best of both worlds...
Old 05-28-2008, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tyler
What kind of value are you getting for your trade?

I'm getting offers of around $15,500 for my 2008 X, 2 Dr, Auto, Soft Top. I owe about $18,200 on it. I guess if I can't do better I'll just have to roll that loss into the next loan or pay the difference in cash.
You just have to run the numbers.

If you drive 15,000 miles per year and get 16 mpg (that's what I get) you'll burn 900 gal. of dinojuice at a cost of about $3600/yr ($300/mo). If you owe $18,200, I'll assume your note is around $400 per month. So it's costing you about $700/mo.

If you get a used Nissan Altima for around $15,000, plus try to lump in the $3000 on the upside down, your note will be around $380/mo. You'll get around 25mpg on that 15,000 mi/yr, so you'll burn around $2300 per yr. That means the Altima will cost you total around $570/mo.

That difference comes out to about $30/week. I'd rather just take my lunch to work or skip a night out, but we're all in different situations.

If you need help to run the actual numbers for a particular used car, trade-in, interest rate, etc. PM me & I'd be happy to send you an Excel sheet you can fill in yourself.

One last consideration is your JK comes with a lifetime power train warranty. If you can cope with gas cost until you pay off the vehicle you can then run-up another 5 years of miles with no car note & not have to worry about the engine & tranny!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a beater econo box for commute and keep the Jeep.

Tossing $2700 in the crapper is not the way to go. You have to save $2700 in fuel before you start recovering the loss.

Better yet buy a cycle and get 80mpg

Quick Reply: For those trading their Jeep for econoboxes...