Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

For those trading their Jeep for econoboxes...

Old 05-28-2008, 07:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's too bad so many people are considering trading in their Jeeps for econo boxes. Pretty soon, with all the panicking, ex Jk'rs will be jumping out of windows and off bridges.

Yeah gas prices suck, but if you are passionate about your Jeep, and the lifestyle involved with owning one, an extra $30 a week isn't so bad.

I am selling my Honda Element so I can get back into a Jeep and I have no problem spending a little more to drive with the top down, on-road, off-road, waving at friends I have never met.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SteelMastiff
You could buy a real nice econo box for what you stand to loose if you do trade... I would buy with cash; a cheap, used econo box for your daily commute. You would have the best of both worlds...
my situation is opposite. I drive a 2007 Honda Accord Coupe which gets great mpg (33 hwy to be exact ) and am looking to buy a used 97 or newer Wrangler for about $6k. So far...havent found one I like in my price range.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:35 AM
JK Super Freak

This is not the way to go. You lose a bunch on your JK and you will be paying more for an econobox then you should be.

I keep my gas mileage displayed all the time. I have worked on changing the way I drive, soft starts, coast when I can, and stick to the speed limit. Since I started doing this I have seen an improvement of about 1.5 to 2 mpg better.

Have you tried this yet?

I'm getting about 17.5/18mpg half city and half hwy.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:41 AM
JK Freak

I would think twice about the trade...here's the simple numbers:

25mpg car vs 16mpg Jeep with gas at $4 per gallon:

30 mile daily commute you would be saving $54 monthly or $648 annually.
40 mile daily commute you would be saving $72 monthly or $864 annually.

$2,700 / $648 = 4.2 years. It would take you over four years to get what you lost on the trade in.

$2,700 / $864 = 3.1 years. It would take you over three years to get what you lost on the trade in.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Newtybar
I would think twice about the trade...here's the simple numbers:

25mpg car vs 16mpg Jeep with gas at $4 per gallon:

30 mile daily commute you would be saving $54 monthly or $648 annually.
40 mile daily commute you would be saving $72 monthly or $864 annually.

$2,700 / $648 = 4.2 years. It would take you over four years to get what you lost on the trade in.

$2,700 / $864 = 3.1 years. It would take you over three years to get what you lost on the trade in.
And to top it off, every time you pass a Jeep you won't be thinking about the money you are saving, you'll be think @#$%$#@##$@$#
Old 05-28-2008, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

I agree with the find a beater to save gas except the price on those is going up as more people hang on to them or buy one to do the same thing.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubidon
This is not the way to go. You lose a bunch on your JK and you will be paying more for an econobox then you should be.

I keep my gas mileage displayed all the time. I have worked on changing the way I drive, soft starts, coast when I can, and stick to the speed limit. Since I started doing this I have seen an improvement of about 1.5 to 2 mpg better.

Have you tried this yet?

I'm getting about 17.5/18mpg half city and half hwy.

I did the same thing and can get about 17.5 to the gallon and that is just city driving. If I went on the freeway I am sure I would do better. I also started a car pool that we do twice a week to work. That helped save money also.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

And also remember that there are costs to insuring, registering, and maintaining a second vehicle that will also offset the money saved on gas. . . .
Old 05-28-2008, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

We swapped the lease on my fiance's BMW 550i to get a Jetta for me to drive to work. We kept the JK.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EHarris
... I also started a car pool that we do twice a week to work. That helped save money also.
x2

I carpool twice a week as well...which is a 40% gas savings! (assuming of course I don't drive on the weekends, which I do...but the 40% figure sure sounds great!)

And if you're like me, you will then figure out the dollar figure that you are "saving" by carpooling, and justifiably order JK mods with your "savings".

Quick Reply: For those trading their Jeep for econoboxes...