JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Tie rod ends (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/tie-rod-ends-342121/)

jstanley78 05-13-2017 05:02 AM

Tie rod ends

I need to replace my Tie rod ends. What do y'all suggest i replace them with, Im leaning toward MOOG.

karls10jk 05-13-2017 05:06 AM

What kind of tie rod do you currently have? If it's factory then you'll have a blast getting the crimped side out to replace it. Most folks go to an aftermarket tie rod at that point. I know I did.

jstanley78 05-13-2017 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 4292144)
What kind of tie rod do you currently have? If it's factory then you'll have a blast getting the crimped side out to replace it. Most folks go to an aftermarket tie rod at that point. I know I did.

Yes i have factory

texascodmw3 05-13-2017 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by jstanley78 (Post 4292147)
Yes i have factory

Agreed, everyone I know replaced the tie rod and usually went aftermarket. Plenty of choices for your needs. Good luck.

tjkamp 05-13-2017 03:25 PM

When the rod ends went out on my drag link, I replaced the whole thing with a Synergy Drag Link. Couldn't be happier.

jedg 05-13-2017 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by tjkamp (Post 4292183)
When the rod ends went out on my drag link, I replaced the whole thing with a Synergy Drag Link. Couldn't be happier.

Yup... synergy is a fine brand and reasonably priced

lowendrider 05-13-2017 05:24 PM

Synergy draglink here and its been excellent for the few years I've had it.

resharp001 05-15-2017 07:35 AM

yup, yup, and yup....another one here for replace the entire TR. If you wheel at all you may as well since the factory is weak in general and will bend pretty easily on you.

EHarris 05-15-2017 02:43 PM

Did synergy tie rod and drag link. Good set up and can be a good package deal when the vendors put them on together.

It will seriously make a big deal in the "wandering" on the road the jeep can have.

marcusjames2 05-15-2017 05:48 PM

I replaced mine with Napa parts. It is serviceable and seems a little beefier than OEM. I've been very happy with it.

vol_sahara 06-26-2017 08:47 AM

For those of you who replaced the whole drag link and ends, how did you know it needed replaced? Or was it just easier to make the upgrade at that point?

There is movement in mine. Not side to side movement. I can rotate or twist the drag link.

Thanks.

resharp001 06-26-2017 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by vol_sahara (Post 4296621)
There is movement in mine. Not side to side movement. I can rotate or twist the drag link.

This movement just allows for misalignment and is normal. Typically a worn DL or TR joint will lead to some bump steer. If you hit a bump, pothole, or such, you'll get a decent jerk of the steering wheel or just a bit of a wobble that will self correct. It's hard to not notice the sensation.

Planman's videos (on youtube and the forums) are a great reference in things to look for.

vol_sahara 06-28-2017 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by resharp001 (Post 4296623)
This movement just allows for misalignment and is normal. Typically a worn DL or TR joint will lead to some bump steer. If you hit a bump, pothole, or such, you'll get a decent jerk of the steering wheel or just a bit of a wobble that will self correct. It's hard to not notice the sensation.

Planman's videos (on youtube and the forums) are a great reference in things to look for.

Thanks! I'll go check those out.

resharp001 06-28-2017 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by vol_sahara (Post 4296796)
Thanks! I'll go check those out.

MOST of the time you can see movement while sitting in front of the jeep and watching while someone turns the wheel. I will say though.....i have a stubby bumper and 3.5" lift, and my front end is really open. I forget sometimes how much harder some others have it accessing all those components.....so while I might be sitting there drinking a beer as I look at stuff, someone else might be rolling around on the ground trying to find a good viewing angle. :crazyeyes:

I have not run in to a bad TR end yet, but ball joints are easy to spot, and DL is pretty easy to see up/down movement in as well while someone is turning the wheel. Planman's vids are pretty thorough. At least a good place to start to get acquainted with your steering.

vol_sahara 07-03-2017 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by resharp001 (Post 4296799)
MOST of the time you can see movement while sitting in front of the jeep and watching while someone turns the wheel. I will say though.....i have a stubby bumper and 3.5" lift, and my front end is really open. I forget sometimes how much harder some others have it accessing all those components.....so while I might be sitting there drinking a beer as I look at stuff, someone else might be rolling around on the ground trying to find a good viewing angle. :crazyeyes:

I have not run in to a bad TR end yet, but ball joints are easy to spot, and DL is pretty easy to see up/down movement in as well while someone is turning the wheel. Planman's vids are pretty thorough. At least a good place to start to get acquainted with your steering.

I have a modified stock bumper (cut ends with caps) and it does make it easier to see all the components.

I've watched Planman's videos and they actually helped me with knowing that the rotation that I mentioned earlier was normal. I'll have to ask my wife to get in and turn the wheel while I watch for any movement.

Thanks!