Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tire safety !!WATCH MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE!!

Old 08-23-2008, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire safety !!WATCH MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE!!

Get educated on tires and safety worth the 4 mins to watch ...may save your life by knowing what your buying !!!

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Video loads with advertisment first then it will start

Enjoy

Tony
Old 08-23-2008, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Default Holy Shit!

That's some scary stuff there...

I just went out and checked the Jeep and the wifes car and the oldest one I can find is my spare on the Jeep. IT looks like it's 20 years old, but is only 3. The tires on the Jeep are 0808 (8th week of 08) and the wifes car are 4707 (47th week of 07), so we are good. But that's scary shiat.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This link doesn't work......

Try this one.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=5054607

Last edited by DadsCJ; 08-23-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

This information is particularly important for motorhomes and large trailers, who are often running near the weight limit of the tire. It can be big trouble when a motorhome tire blows.

The general recommendation is that any motorhome tire over 6 years old needs to be replaced.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrktwatchr
Get educated on tires and safety worth the 4 mins to watch ...may save your life by knowing what your buying !!!

Enjoy

Tony
Also saw a program ( trying to find ) that shows how UV rays break down a tire .. It claimed that tires which are not driven or moved should be covered so they dont dry out and crack .. (will keep looking )
Old 08-24-2008, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default How old are your tires? Tire safety

Enjoy

Tony
Old 08-24-2008, 04:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by driley
This information is particularly important for motorhomes and large trailers, who are often running near the weight limit of the tire. It can be big trouble when a motorhome tire blows.

The general recommendation is that any motorhome tire over 6 years old needs to be replaced.
I've a good friend who purchased new tires a year ago for his 26 foot fifth wheel trailer. One of those tires blew this spring, the tread separated from the carcass. It did quite a bit of damage to the trailer, luckily he didn't lose control and have a big wreck. We were talking about this date on tires thing at work one day so he went and checked the tires he bought. They were nine years old when he made the buy. He sent an e-mail to the manufacturer and told them he has a trailer that doesn't get a lot of miles but the tires are ten years old, should they be changed due to age. He got a reply direct from the manufacturer that after 6 years they definitely should be changed as they dry out and can separate after a number of years. He now has some ammo to go after the distributor and manufacturer to get his trailer damages paid for and get the remaining tires replaced. I'll post back here as the saga unfolds to let you all know what the outcome of this is. The real issue is CHECK THE AGE OF YOUR TIRES even if you just bought them.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:24 AM
JK Jedi

Yeah, that has been posted on here a couple times, but still good info.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreytSilly
I've a good friend who purchased new tires a year ago for his 26 foot fifth wheel trailer. One of those tires blew this spring, the tread separated from the carcass. It did quite a bit of damage to the trailer, luckily he didn't lose control and have a big wreck. We were talking about this date on tires thing at work one day so he went and checked the tires he bought. They were nine years old when he made the buy. He sent an e-mail to the manufacturer and told them he has a trailer that doesn't get a lot of miles but the tires are ten years old, should they be changed due to age. He got a reply direct from the manufacturer that after 6 years they definitely should be changed as they dry out and can separate after a number of years. He now has some ammo to go after the distributor and manufacturer to get his trailer damages paid for and get the remaining tires replaced. I'll post back here as the saga unfolds to let you all know what the outcome of this is. The real issue is CHECK THE AGE OF YOUR TIRES even if you just bought them.
Education is first and foremost .. we all take for granted things we buy everyday ... Most items will have a manufacturers date and the warranty is only good from that date (I have found this out a couple of times while trying to get warrenty 0.. so we should all take the few mins it takes to check the manufaturers dates and or expiration dates ... Stuff can sit on shelves in a back room for yrs waiting for you to buy it ....
Old 08-24-2008, 04:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Wow. I'm going out to check now.

You should add a poll to this thread so we get an idea of the average age of tires on our JKs...

js.

Quick Reply: Tire safety !!WATCH MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE!!