Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tired of gaps in mesh top.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired of gaps in mesh top.

I love running with the freedom panels off. I am sure I would love pulling the entire top off too, but I haven't done that.

I made a mesh shade with bungie balls and screen from the hardware store and that was even better, not being blasted by the sun, but sun and air leaks around the edges as well as the hassle of taking it on and off made me look for a better replacement.

I made it! - a frame with mesh that installs securely with four eye bolts ( no tools needed ) and closes light and air leaks. Doesn't flap in the wind on the freeway either. Has air leaks on the sides between the door and the edge, but these aren't an issue although on a cold day on the highway you sure know where they are.

Here is a picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-58775880.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	402290

Happy new year to all of you,

Paul

Post with pictures and parts list here:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...panels-258812/

Last edited by melor; 12-30-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

You sir, are a genius! Nice work
Old 12-27-2012, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by iamspecialized
You sir, are a genius! Nice work
X2. Great work.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks. I was pleased with the bungie ball and mesh solution but sun always seemed to sneak in around the edges and hit my eyes. On cold days so much air came in where the rear gap was that it would freeze out my neck at highway speeds. Now the gaps are above the doors and I might add something to the sides to minimize that too. Will post pics if I do.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

This looks pretty nice! Can you post more pictures?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
OR-FAB

Yeah, wow that looks pretty good. Nice job. How much would you say you spend supplies?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Total supplies around $100. Plywood biggest cost.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry about the first post. Wording looks like English is not my native tongue. Somehow the challenge of composition on a phone got the best of me.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
OR-FAB

$100 bucks. Not bad
Old 12-27-2012, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hubs
$100 bucks. Not bad
The most expensive part was the plywood. Another purchase was some thin particle type board similar to pegboard. It actually looks like clipboard material. This was used to make a template because it's a fairly precise fit on the roof. After fooling around with the template, I cut the plywood. I used a router to make a groove for the screen and spline material. I also routed out space for the middle footman loop. Hole for four eyebolts, screwed some 1 by 2 s to help keep the spline in the groove at highway speeds, stuffed some spline between the plywood and the screen to help present the screen from vibrating on the inside edge of the plywood. Flat black spray paint on the exposed wood and it was good to go. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I am thinking of putting some side skirts on it to plug the only real air gap which is above the doors. Not much of a problem if it is nice out, but during the winter on the highway, a bit of a breeze leaks in here... Nothing like the bungie ball and trampoline style of just the screening, however...

In any case, a few dollars here and there, and you will probably spend $100 or so, maybe less. Other than the plywood, nothing here was vey expensive. A bunch of time, however in making the template for the plywood.

Paul

Quick Reply: Tired of gaps in mesh top.