Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Towing with a JKU vs Tundra

Old 06-16-2018, 06:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Towing with a JKU vs Tundra

So I've had my Tundra with 5.7 for a couple of weeks now and have towed my 7x14x 7ft high trailer a few hundred miles. WOW what a difference it is compared to towing with the JKU. My Jeep accomplished the previous tows with this trailer, but didn't really like it. Top comfortable speed was around 63. Long slow uphills would cause the speed to drop. 6th gear in my manual trans 3.73 rear Jeep was useless. The Tundra- a whole new ball game. At times I had to remind myself I was actually towing a trailer. Felt very safe and stable towing at 72mph. I love my Jku and it has towed a trailer for many fond family memories. Now the Tundra has taken over and the difference is astounding. I just purchased a hoist system for the Jeep top. Now that will be relegated to a fun toy.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I just purchased a hoist system for the Jeep top. Now that will be relegated to a fun toy.
When I bought my JK back in '13, a top lift was one of the first things I bought....after figuring out that the ole ratchet strap thing wasn't going to be a viable option for my use. I don't care which one it is.....money on something designed to lift the top is money well spent. Mine is no longer a DD, but even when it was, I could have that top on/off in about 8 mins flat.....in a suit if need be, and that includes getting the jeep situated in place. I will say that once I picked up a commuter car and mine became more of a toy.....I go months with the doors off at a time. My top was always off anyhow, but it's so nice to not HAVE to drive it if it's raining. Your fun factor should be on the rise

Quick Reply: Towing with a JKU vs Tundra