Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Help with Repair Necessities!

Old 06-27-2022, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help with Repair Necessities!

Hey Guys,

I just got a diagnostic report back from the Jeep dealership and they came back with a lot of stuff wrong with my '13 JK Sahara Unlimited, 4-inch lift w/35's. It has 129,000 miles on it and runs perfectly fine with no issues to my knowledge, besides brakes being pretty bad. I only got it checked out because I'm moving to Orlando soon and don't want to deal with anything going wrong when I move there.

I attached a picture of the report they sent me with the price tag of about $4,100. I am a broke 24 year old and already have student loan debt. I am going to medical school next fall so I won't have money for a while and I do NOT want to sell my first and only car ever.

Basically what I am asking is if someone could tell me what the absolute necessary repairs are that I need to get done ASAP on this repair report. Also, if you think they are overcharging for any of these services, please let me know so I can find another place to get my jeep serviced. Thank you guys.

Old 06-27-2022, 04:05 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

You are at a tranny service interval, so dropping the pan, swapping the filter, and refilling with new fluids is normal. I have a '13 that I changed my tranny fluid at 60k and reused the gasket. I might change it this next time I do mine around 120k.

On the rear bearings and seals. Are you leaking gear oil all over your e-brake assemblies? If so, then you do need those seals changed and do the bearings at the same time. If you are not leaking anything back there you could keep on going till you do. (****edit....sorry, I just now saw they note both sides leaking)

No reason that I see to replace your front DS unless you have blown the CV seal and joint at the transfer case side. You can look.....do you see a stripe of grease on the underside of the tub right above that? If so, you could 1) find another factory DS for cheap on FBM or CL locally, 2) replace just that TC side joint with a Teraflex high angle CV, or 3) replace the DS. (****edit....sorry, I just now saw they noted torn boot)

If you've never replaced spark plugs then it's bout time ("tune up") and the upper intake has to come off to get to the driver's side which is why those upper intake gaskets are on the list too.

Serp belt, yes, it probably needs it.

Brakes are pretty self-explanatory.

After looking at that estimate again and seeing their comments I missed previously, it seems they did a decent inspection on few of the common things. You can save some money on that DS with just replacing that TC side joint though....but still couple hundred.

Last edited by resharp001; 06-27-2022 at 04:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RonandJanet (06-29-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 12:20 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by navyjk
... got a diagnostic report back from the Jeep dealership ... if you think they are overcharging for any of these services, please let me know so I can find another place to get my jeep serviced.
Everyone should find a local mechanic that isn't the dealership for repairs like those listed. You'll probably get better service and save money. And, FYI, the reason that drive shaft failed is probably because of the 4" lift. If you replace/repair it without selecting a proper driveshaft (not OEM) and adding control arms to adjust the caster, you'll be right back here in about the same mileage. And don't be surprised if the rear DS fails for the same reason. Better option for 35" tires is 2.5-3" of lift, wheels with appropriate offset/backspacing and a little trimming here and there. There are plenty of threads here discussing how much lift and the whys and hows. Meanwhile, you can pull the front driveshaft off and drive in 2WD until you can afford to fix it properly. Better that than a driveshaft failure while driving down the Interstate.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mark Doiron:
Jay2013jk (07-30-2022), Sixty4x4 (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

You might want to get friends who know how to wrench as what the responses stated, pretty much normal repairs especially with that enormous lift. Don't know why both seals went on the rear as it is usually one or other. Stay away from the dealers as they work on flat rates to repair something. EG 1 hour to change a fan belt when it takes me about 3 minutes.

Quick Reply: Help with Repair Necessities!