Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Towing My Rubi JKU (RV Dingy)

Old 12-10-2017, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any luck?

Hey there, curious if you got this figured out. I installed the Maximus 3 tow loops under my factory RHR bumper and they look like they'll be plenty sturdy. I ordered the adaptor lugs for my blue ox tow bar, but noticed the opening in them is 1" wide, while the tow loops are only 1/2" thick. the extra play in there doesn't excite me, so wondering what others have done to close the gap. Any help much appreciated!!

Originally Posted by EscFmHere
Hey all, do we have any RV'ers in the house? My wife traded in our tow vehicle. This was part of my justification to get my Rubi. It was a "sacrifice" on my part, I know, lol.

I traditionally use Roamaster or Blu-Ox base plates. That was before the Jeep. I don't like how it looks or what it does the approach angle. I use a Falcon 2 tow bar, and have been searching for a Jeepside solution.

I was looking at Currie's base plate, it looks good and replaces the front skid plate, especially good if you have a stock bumper and plastic skid plate.

I have a Hard Rock, and it doesn't line up right with the bumper, so I looked again.

I found the Maximus-3 Jeep Wrangler JK Tow Loops. They look great...too great.

I just can't help but wonder if they will hold up to 1000's of miles behind the coach.

If anyone has used them, or has any thoughts on the subject, I am all ears. Maybe I am just being paranoid.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the Maximus Tow Loops. I also didn’t care for the space.

i contacted Maximus. They said they are working on connectors on the tow bar side. They don’t have a timeline on that.

I ended up putting on large nylon and one large steel washer on each side of the tow loop (so 4 total, per tow loop)

This seem to remove enough of the play, to satisfy my concerns (for now).
Old 12-10-2017, 10:09 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info, @EscFmHere. That's what I was thinking I might have to do. Good to know they might be working on a solution, but sure would like to see that sooner than later. Messing with all those washing every time we connect/disconnect sounds like a PIA.

I'll probably call them tomorrow too, just to see if they have any updates and, if nothing else, make them aware that there's at least one more guy out there who'd like to see a real fix.

How do you like the setup with these tow loops, overall?

i contacted Maximus. They said they are working on connectors on the tow bar side. They don’t have a timeline on that.

I ended up putting on large nylon and one large steel washer on each side of the tow loop (so 4 total, per tow loop)

Old 02-06-2018, 01:56 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up Washers - same here...

I went to my local Tractor Supply store and got some 7/8ths inch ID washers. Three on each side closed the gap with our just installed Maximus-3 Universal Tow loops and Roadmaster shackle adapters from vendor e-trailer.

We converted a stainless Roadmaster Falcon receiver towbar that uses the usual drop-on fender mount on our recently sold 2002 TJ. Went with the Maximus-3 product for the JKUR that replaced the built TJ Sahara last year because we did NOT want to reduce the front approach angle by using the usual under-bumper under frame tow adapters most folks use - otherwise what's the point in having a trail Jeep?

The Maximus-3 Universal Tow Loops are the two red 5/8" thick HD steel below-bumper tow points

Old 02-06-2018, 02:13 AM
JK Newbie

Arrow Photos of Maximus-3 Universal Tow Loop Ubolts/Straps

We just finished installing the subj tow points on our 2017 JKUR Recon. We didn't want to go with the usual low-hanging tow bar adapters that severely restricted front approach angles. The Maximus-3 product was one of the better alternatives, while not cheap, it is also a dual use shackle/strap tug/pull point.

Pre-bumper re-install photos of the frame attachment area (front bumper chassis extensions) with strap and U-bolts.

The strap bolts are torqued to 65 ft lbs, they firmly contact the inverted bottom of the tow loop plate in a perpendicular fashion, and also mold to the contour of the top of chassis rail. The front canted galvanized u-bolts u-bolts are of a more conventional design. The mounting area with in-bumper winch and stinger bar reinforcing brackets is very congested. All the parts fit closely together.

The most time-consuming part of the install is cutting (cut-off wheel), smoothing (grinder), and painting (for rust prevention) clearance notches for the tow hooks (red in these photos) in both the steel Mopar 10A/Hard Rock/Recon bumper bottom, and the steel front skid plate.

The clearance notch dimensions specified in the Maximus-3 instructions are accurate for the metal special edition bumper. Dimensions for plastic OEM Jeep bumpers are also included but were not applicable/not used in our application.

Last edited by ourjeeps; 02-07-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:34 PM
JK Newbie

Arrow Tow bar end adapters (Item # RM-035-1) from e-trailer.com

As an oh by the way... we adapted a Roadmaster Falcon 5250 tow bar to use the Maximus-3 tow hooks by purchasing tow bar end adapters (Item # RM-035-1) from e-trailer.com and replaced the original tow bar swivel ears.

What was not readily apparent in the product literature was the reuse of the original threaded tow bar "end round nuts" (threaded couplers) for our 5250 unit. The "end round nuts" (un-threaded couplers) that come with the adaters work with other tow bar models but not the 5250, which requires threaded couplers.

These adapters are compatible with the following Roadmaster motor-home-mounted tow bars
  • BlackHawk
  • BlackHawk All-Terrain
  • BlackHawk 2 All-Terrain (RM-422)
  • Falcon (RM-520)
  • Falcon 2
  • Falcon 5250
  • Falcon All-Terrain (RM-522)
  • Nighthawk (RM-676)
  • Sterling
  • Sterling All-Terrain (RM-576)

Adapters for Falcon tow bar and Maximus-3 Universal Tow Loops

Comparison of original tow bar swivel ear and new adapters to use the Maximus-3 Universal Tow Loop product

Original tow bar before adapter swap out

Un-attached adapter on Driver's side Maximus-3 Universal Tow Loop
Old 03-22-2019, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Default Maximus tow loops

I was wondering how your Maximus tow loops are working out. Are you still comfortable with them? I have a new 2019 JL Rubicon ordered and was wanting to use these for towing. Also allows a winch installation in the steel factory bumper. Thanks for any info. Barry btwhitis@aim.com
Old 07-15-2021, 06:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BTWHITIS
I was wondering how your Maximus tow loops are working out. Are you still comfortable with them? I have a new 2019 JL Rubicon ordered and was wanting to use these for towing. Also allows a winch installation in the steel factory bumper. Thanks for any info. Barry btwhitis@aim.com
Barry - Sorry for the massively late reply. The "tow loops" as Maximus likes to call them, are working fine (all these years). I believe Maximus has changed the design of the loop-frame mounting for the JK and JL's. Pls Check their website. https://maximus-3.com/home/maximus-3-tow-loops#/
Old 07-18-2021, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BTWHITIS
Barry, me as well. Just saw the last response. I have had no issues with the Tow Loops. I also contacted Maximus, regarding adapters for my Falcon 2. They no longer have plans to make them, but they do have spacers now. They sent them to me, for free.

Last edited by EscFmHere; 07-18-2021 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Barry, me as well. Just saw the last response. I have had no issues with the Tow Loops. I also contacted Maximus, regarding adapters for my Falcon 2. They no longer have plans to make them, but they do have spacers now. They sent them to me, for free.

As a BTW, we like the minimal design/impact of the not-so-cheap Maximus tow loops. Contrasting that, a friend put a large conventional tow plate/mounting points under the front of his Jeep Wrangler, ruining his front clearance, and diminishing the capabilities of his Jeep.

Quick Reply: Towing My Rubi JKU (RV Dingy)