Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Towing question. Do I need a towing package?

Old 07-29-2008, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Towing question. Do I need a towing package?

I have a stock Unlimited X and I plan to tow in the future; camping tent trailer or a jet ski or a small boat. Nothing huge. Would I need a towing package? Also, what does a towing package have besides a tranny cooler? Someone told be that Jeep's cooling system's are not the greatest. Is that true?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The towing packaage gives 3.73 gears instead of the 3.21's along with the hitch & wiring. I do not know if it adds an additional cooler to the auto trans or not. From my experience, if you are going to tow in any sort of hilly area - add a trans cooler.
I pulled a 6x12 tandem with mine, manual with tow package, it did well except in a stiff headwind, but i still got 18mpg, but i had to put it into 4th to get up over ~63, before I could get anymore speed with 5th or 6th.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes the package comes with a tranny cooler. Would I need those gears though? Don't wanna break the bank to tow. If I could get away with just a cooler and a hitch that'd be nice.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think you need anything, if you're only doing the light towing that you mentioned. I used to tow the same thingswith my tj without any problems and no tow package.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

The reason for 3.73's is for ease of acceleration & less load on the drivetrain. From what I've read, everyone gripes about the 3.21 & some about the 3.73's being too sluggish. I can imagine with the 3.21's you wont be setting any speed records from stop signs, but once runnin you shouldnt have any problem.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartan99
Yes the package comes with a tranny cooler. Would I need those gears though? Don't wanna break the bank to tow. If I could get away with just a cooler and a hitch that'd be nice.
I thought the all autos came with the same wimpy little tranny cooler regardless of the tow package?

Also, I wonder if different springs are part of the tow package.

Quick Reply: Towing question. Do I need a towing package?