Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Towing a trailer with a JK

Old 09-02-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing a trailer with a JK

Hey all,

Going to be moving soon and am going to be towing a U-Haul trailer for a couple thousand miles. How will the JK do towing a 6X12 Trailer? U-Haul: Equipment specs

Also, this trailer has an odd breaking system, it has tongue activated trailer breaks, so rather than using a trailer break controler it does it independently(i guess)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

I don't know about that trailer in particular but I have a 12 2 door and towed a 5x8 1200 miles. My jeep did pretty good, slow moving for the most part and 6th was only in flat terrain. I think I averaged about 60-65 MPH. Good luck with your tow
Old 09-02-2012, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Make sure you have a hardtop on when you go to Uhaul. They will not rent to you without a top or with a soft top. A four door will tow that fine. A two door you could overload easily. Not saying it won't work, it would just be over weight quickly.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry, Forgot to mention, 2008 Unlimited Automatic with 3.73s
Old 09-02-2012, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

It probably wouldn't hurt to add a tranny cooler if you haven't already.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default you should be O.K.

I have towed with that setup (JKU, 3.73 automatic). The key is gentle acceleration and not pretending you are pulling with a turbo diesel truck. If in a hilly area, you will need to go slow and kick off the Overdrive. In fact, turning off the Overdrive and slowing down is a good thing to do anyway. I like towing with my jeeps and really have no worries about towing with them as long as I'm not trying to pull more than the 3,500 pound rating.

As stated, you need to have a hardtop and freedom panels INSTALLED. Uhaul will not rent to jeeps with soft tops or hardtops if you show up with the freedom panels removed.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just did this a few months ago with a Uhaul trailer, but only for a couple hundred miles. I had about 2500 pounds. All I can say is try to avoid long steep hills or you'll be over in the slow lane with the tractor trailers. It was fine on the flat roads, able to do the speed limit with no issues. I had overdrive off the whole time. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Nice! Thanks for all of the responses!

Any suggestions on a tranny cooler? Does mopar do one that won't don anything to the lifetime warranty?
Old 09-03-2012, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zander
Nice! Thanks for all of the responses!

Any suggestions on a tranny cooler? Does mopar do one that won't don anything to the lifetime warranty?
Mopar has one, you can buy at the dealership or on Justforjeeps.com. It's a little pricey, but if the dealer installs you shouldn't have any concerns regarding your lifetime warranty.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

Tranny cooler is nice, but probably not necessary if you are towing correctly. That being said, I have two JKU's and the one I do most of the towing with does NOT have a tranny cooler. The other one does. I have towed with both. As stated, I just turn the overdrive off and slow down a bit (under 70) if I've got any weight on the trailer (more than 1,500 lbs). Just make sure you are following the correct service interval now that you are towing. I.E. Severe duty schedule for oil, axles, and change the trans fluid on schedule if towing a lot. If you are only towing a couple times to move, don't worry about it. You are not going to hurt it at all. I regurarly tow a 2,000 trailer and have pulled up to about 3,400 with my '09 jku automatic, 3.73's. When I say regularly, I mean I have 50,000 on that jeep. AT LEAST 15,000 of them I have driven have had that trailer behind them. I pull my trailer all over.

The mopar transmission cooler works very well. I put it on my 11 JKU. There is a big difference, but the main reason I put it on this jeep is that it sees a lot of low speed use so it does not have as much air going thru the condenser/oil cooler as the other one at speed. I recommend the mopar cooler if you are going to do one as they are fairly easy to install as long as you do not have a rubicon (I have a rubicon). Just be careful not to strip the bolt on the condenser--ignore the torque spec listed, it is wrong in the instructions. If you strip it, you will have a nice $$$ repair bill.

Quick Reply: Towing a trailer with a JK