Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Traction mats, are they useful?

Old 02-04-2019, 11:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
...I'll give these $20 upgraded 2x6 traction mats a whirl for now. ...
Absolutely. I'd be interested in the results. One of my fellow overlanders is a mechanical engineer who works in material design. And he has pointed out that the big difference between the expensive products and the cheaper products (we were discussing MaxTrax vs SmittyBilt) is the material cost. He explained that MaxTrax use an expensive compound that is stronger and more durable (including UV resistance for mounting outside), and that the process for molding them is more expensive.

Related to this, my next door neighbor was out hunting a few years ago when his Chevy pickemup got stuck in mud and muck. He ended up taking off his leather belt and strapping it around the tire crosswise (through a wheel opening). I've seen ads for small recovery devices that add a block to that. Anyway, he said that was all it took to get him out.

https://cudicrateshop.com/product/tr...AICOD-jZTKRMUk
Old 02-11-2019, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

No opportunity to try out the traction mats although we have gotten some recent snow.

However, I think I got some other great deals from the "dad gift" sets from Sam's Club they're clearing out, left over from the holidays.

You can never have too many tools.

Tactix Pro 7 piece pliers set: $9.91

Vaughan infared digital thermometer:$6.91

Kilimanjaro Multi-tool w/case and LED flashlight: $6.91

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-11-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:27 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

I was watching something on YouTube this last weekend, and got caught on the next video that automatically started as they do. It happened to be some Aussie guys comparing MaxTrax to a $76 set of eBay knock offs. It was a pretty decent video, and in the end they were pretty surprised how decently the knock-off held up (tested in sand, tested as a ledge to get up rocks, tested as a bridge, and tested as a jack plate). These guys all seemed to have put their genuine MaxTrax through the ringer over years of use....kinda like I envision Mark probably has. Anyhow, while watching that video I kinda giggled at the thought of how a cheap foldable set would work compared to either the real thing or the knock-off, but who knows.....still better than nothing I guess. Will definitely be curious just to see if they work or fail comically.

Last edited by resharp001; 02-12-2019 at 04:24 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Anyhow, while watching that video I kinda giggled at the thought of how a cheap foldable set would work compared to either the real thing or the knock-off, but who knows.....still better than nothing I guess. Will definitely be curious just to see if they work fail comically.
LOL! That was kind of my thought when I was contemplating purchasing these. I was envisioning putting them under my tires and watching them get shot out from the backside of the tire.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
LOL! That was kind of my thought when I was contemplating purchasing these. I was envisioning putting them under my tires and watching them get shot out from the backside of the tire.
MaxTrax have a bit of cupping to them which I expect is designed to force them down (vice up, becoming an airborne missile). They do recommend crawl slowly out, both because you can drive them pretty deep under the muck, and because a spinning tire can tear off the nubbins that are giving you grip. As with any recovery operation, take care, ensure plenty of clearance for things to go in unanticipated directions.

Quick Reply: Traction mats, are they useful?