Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Trade in my 4dr for a 2dr?

Old 04-13-2017, 09:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade in my 4dr for a 2dr?

Hey everyone,

I'd like to get your thoughts on this. I have a 2013 JKU. I sometimes regret not going for the 2 door for originality reasons and shorter wheelbase. In addition I have always wanted a jeep that from the late 80's into the 90's (something that I can work on myself). Should I stick with my 4 door and build up and mod it? Or should trade it in and go for an earlier year or to have the 2dr or just stick with the 4dr?

Last edited by BeefCake; 04-13-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:47 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

The most important consideration is what do you plan to do with your Jeep? If it's transporting junior and his friends to soccer matches, then the four door is the better answer. If it's hard core rock crawling, then maybe the two door is best. Overlanding is dominated by four doors, though there are the occasional troopers out there with two doors (and trailers, usually, since overlanding demands transporting more gear). You'll get better responses if you describe a bit how you see yourself using your Jeep.

And, because I like to make and share videos, here's one for you. Lots of four doors, but there is an occasional two door ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl2D1KbMZpg
Old 04-14-2017, 02:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in this exact situation, after owning a four door for 7 years, I wanted something different. bought a 2017 2 door, an absolutely love it. SUre there are moments when the four doors come in handy, shopping, transporting kids, etc.. I feel it drives more nimble, on and off-road I can turn anywhere. I say go for it..
Old 04-14-2017, 05:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Changing from a tall station wagon to the more iconic 2 door? Do it!
Old 04-14-2017, 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously you want the 2 door. You just have to decide if you're going to regret losing the cargo space. If you depend on the trunk and substantial back seat, you'll regret it. If not, you'll join plenty of other happy 2 door owners, myself included.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my 2 door!!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another thing that's great about a 2 door. Just enough room for my wife and I...and our dog. No others!
Old 04-14-2017, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if room is not an issue go for the 2 door
Old 04-14-2017, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Love my 2dr but as mentioned, space is at a premium. Both have advantages offroad. Just boils down to how you'll use it the majority of the time. In a perfect world I'd have one of each.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
And, because I like to make and share videos, here's one for you. Lots of four doors, but there is an occasional two door ... YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl2D1KbMZpg
Hey I recognize a particular two door in that video! Haha. I've been able to successfully live with my two door. It gets my wife, two kids, and I around town easily enough. I've used it off-road and camping a ton. Love it!!!! I have had to get a roof rack however. At least initially I couldn't fit a stroller in the trunk area. So I told my wife the only option was a $1,000 roof rack! Haha!!! Things were going great until about three weeks after my roof rack was on and she realized the wheels of the stroller were removable and it fit really easily in the trunk. Oh well! Mark is right about 4 doors dominating overlanding. However, me and one other person would have no trouble at all living out of my Jeep for a couple of weeks. I've done a week easily. But, I am always envious of the space in a four door!! I will say that the only way mine works is with the roof rack. If I didn't have that it wouldn't work with a family and it would be difficult to take overlanding and camping. So you really have to ask yourself what is your mission? Lastly, can that mission be accomplished in a two door?

Here is a video I made about getting out there. In my two door of course.

https://youtu.be/HoLXvzZyd_8

Quick Reply: Trade in my 4dr for a 2dr?