Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Trail doors - why????

Old 05-07-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trail doors - why????

OK, assuming they have fit and finish (I've heard sometimes not so much), what's the *function*???

They look like they provide some nice false sense of security, which is what the wife wants.

What am I missing?
Old 05-07-2011, 08:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you talking about tube doors? if so, yes they keep your arms and legs in the vehicle for the most part, but allow you to see almost as much as running doorless. If the wifey wants, then you must abide....lol...get the tube doors, they are cool.

Also, some states require jeeps to run a door of some sort, as doorless is illegal....the tube door makes it legal, at least that's the case in BC, Canada
Old 05-07-2011, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Seriously if the wife give the go ahead on mod for my JK, I've already half filled in my credit card info before she even says yes. Even if it's not top of my list. You get the green light you gotta go!!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hell yah tube doors are sweet. Pick them heezies up if the wife says yes!

Sam
Old 05-07-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

The rugged ridge ones are nice

Old 05-07-2011, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

The wife hates riding doorless and is not too thrilled about have the kids in doorless as well. I picked up some Bestop Element doors and that made her happy...plus I like them. They look good and I have TJ mirrors on them that stay on them. I prefer them over doorless really.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jae Suite
Seriously if the wife give the go ahead on mod for my JK, I've already half filled in my credit card info before she even says yes. Even if it's not top of my list. You get the green light you gotta go!!!!
Haha! Its so funny to think how many of us bug our wiives for all this stuff. As soon as they are like "ok, fine...", stuffs already shipping. Haha. You gotta go!!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by 03fatboy
... What am I missing?
Uh, I hesitate to suggest, but maybe that your wife controls the purse strings? I like my tube doors (OR Fab) ...

Maybe if you suggest to her that you should get a bikini top to go with the tube doors because it looks so cool. Just because she may control the purse strings doesn't mean you can't play her a little bit.

BTW: I'm not married (widower), so any advice I give in that regard is taken purely at your own risk.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 05-07-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 03fatboy
OK, assuming they have fit and finish (I've heard sometimes not so much), what's the *function*???

They look like they provide some nice false sense of security, which is what the wife wants.

What am I missing?
Nothing. They're all ugly.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:37 AM
JK Freak

Well, I think it breaks down into two big groups, with a less common third.

#1) Single guys without kids that can run completely doorless.

#2) Guys with a wife, kids, or long term GF. Mine doesn't want to ride doorless or even tubeless. False sense of security or not, she wants a mesh of some type there. I showed her the rugged ridge doors, she said she didn't like them without the mesh. I told her the mesh was the same as the mesh bikini tops, she was fine with that.

She doesn't control the purse strings at all, but there are plenty of other things that she has FULL control of. And I am not about to use my "purse string" power if it ends up with the frigid and unreceptive ...... And a wife/long term gf can cause you plenty of pain - so why would you want to make her uncomfortable. You do form a team, so anyone that thinks they are just going to tell their wife to "deal with it" is probably single and going to be that way for a while. Doesn't mean he can't be up to his elbows in tang, but well.....if that was ACTUALLY the case, I personally would be spending more time on that and less on JKF.

#3) The guys that think it just looks better. I was one of them.

As for providing no protection, I don't buy that for a second. The rugged ridge doors, one really beefy door I have seen but can't remember, and others still sit on the door frame. With the way they are built, it is at least possible they provide MORE protection than the stock doors. At the least, they are going to be 10X the protection of doorless.

Quick Reply: Trail doors - why????