Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Trail ready

Old 08-28-2011, 01:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trail ready

What are the mods that need to be done to be really trail ready? Just trying to get the basics down. Got my rubi rails on the way (I have a 11' sport)

Function not looks!
Old 08-28-2011, 01:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeeps are incredibly capable vehicles right out of the box. It really depends on what type of trails you will be running as to what modifications really "need" to be done.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

I know lift, tires, and extending vent tubes but just in case I hit the hole and it's 2ft instead of a foot I want to be ready.
I've been reading on here about cb's and that stuff just trying to get cheap necessities out of the way before lift and tires.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

A CB is pretty indispensable along with a good first aid kit, maglite (or equivalent), tire deflator (and digital gauge for airing up), fire extinguisher, a basic tool set, ZIP TIES (I cannot emphasize this one enough), oh and a whole lot of desire to go have some fun!!!
Old 08-28-2011, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

That's what I was getting at. Don't want to hit the trail and get stuck not even have a recovery strap. Necessities. mine is my dd so no stump jumping but you never know if you'll have to cross a creek or something.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jjntj2003
I know lift, tires, and extending vent tubes but just in case I hit the hole and it's 2ft instead of a foot I want to be ready.
I've been reading on here about cb's and that stuff just trying to get cheap necessities out of the way before lift and tires.
I would def say cb needs to be high on the list. I have the midland 822 and love it. Another popular choice is the cobra 75. I like the dual function of the midland and ability to put it away easily.

I would suggest a good tow strap, trail gear before extending breather tubes and lift and tires.

A set of quick disconnects would be high on the list since you have an x
Old 08-28-2011, 09:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by briaros6
A CB is pretty indispensable along with a good first aid kit, maglite (or equivalent), tire deflator (and digital gauge for airing up), fire extinguisher, a basic tool set, ZIP TIES (I cannot emphasize this one enough), oh and a whole lot of desire to go have some fun!!!
That's the only necessary things. I took mine on the trails when it was bone stock, and was very surprised what it can do (it's my first Jeep). So lift, tires, winch, etc. are all helpful, but not necessary. In a stock Jeep you can still go where most people can't.

Personally, I think it's best to wheel it stock before spending the big money. Then you find out what YOU want, instead of spending a lot of dough on things you don't really need (leveling kit vs. 4" lift, short arms or long arms, etc.).
Old 08-28-2011, 09:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjntj2003
As for cheap starts..

Trail tool kit!
Toilet Paper
Water
First Aid kit
CB Radio
Quick disconnects
Flash Light
Old 08-28-2011, 10:10 PM
JK Super Freak

IMO here are the bare minimums for wheeling:

Since you're a fellow Sport owner, the MUST HAVE is a JKS quicker sway bar disconnect. Without this, you'll be wrenching and cussing trying to get the sway bar links off, as others look on and lose patience LOL Not disconnecting handicaps you in the articulation department and you'll get stuck on otherwise manageable rutted ground. Note: when you disco, take your links completely off and throw them in the glovebox. And leave your sway bar parallel with your frame.

Also get a cheap air compressor (for starters) at your local auto store. You'll need it to air up after your run.

Then get a good recovery kit (tow straps, chains etc., maybe even a collapsible shovel)

Get someone else to wheel with. With one or two buddies tagging along in their rigs, there will always be someone to pull others out. But if you're going at it alone (not recommended except for the lighter trails), a winch and a hi-lift jack + accessories (lift-mate and offroad base at least).

OPTIONAL: If you have dough, get rid of those god-awful 29 inch stock tires and get at least 33 inch off-road tires for better grip and ground clearance. It'll help your long-wheelbase JKU from getting high-centered too much too.

A CB radio is great to have but on a good day with tops and doors off, you can just communicate between Jeeps by yelling LOL. So it's somewhat optional too... if you run outta money don't worry about a CB yet.

Either than that, a stock sport will do just fine. Have fun and report in with pics after you're done!

Last edited by ChryslerChris; 08-28-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:40 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good choice on going with rock rails quick, my Jeep would be trashed without them. Nothing else has proven as useful yet.

Quick Reply: Trail ready