Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Transfer case fluid change help quick

Old 10-24-2013, 03:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case fluid change help quick

In the middle of changing transfer case fluid. Bought two quarts. While messing with bottle pump and trying to use red solo to help process I spilt probably 3/4 of solo cup. Maybe quarter of a quart... Maybe a little more. When I ran out I t wasn't oozing on its own but if I stuck the plastic tubing in there some would start to ooze out. Do I need to run to store in separate vehicle and get more. Has everyone been getting full two quarts in. Fml. Help quick
Old 10-24-2013, 03:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you can stick your finger in and touch fluid you are totally fine...don't sweat it.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:54 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Yep,either you can touch the fluid or just below the plug hole
Old 10-24-2013, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

I guess semi on te same topic... I was changing out my differential fluid as well. Front came out mostly clean, rear came out dark (maybe to be expected because it handles most of load) but there was also a little sludge stuck to magnetic drain pipe and a flake of metals shrapnel...time to be super concerned? Could this be any explanation of periodic surging/bogging feeling at 3000 rpms Truck is out of warranty... Also front took just under a quart ten started oozing rear took just under two quarts. Second differential change that Hanst come near wayalife fluid levels....
D30 front d44 rear with LSD 2010 sahara 6 speed
Old 10-24-2013, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that sludge is completely normal on the drain plug...you are doing everything correct!
Old 10-25-2013, 02:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having small black fuzzy creatures living on the magnetic part of the drain plug is normall. Now if you start seeing chunks of metal its time to worry a bit
Old 11-19-2013, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Default how can you overfill the Diff?

So I changed my diff fluid on the front and rear at 30K. The rear was black, the front was clean. some sludge on the magnet. Everything was normal. I replaced the fluid with synthetic Valvoline, and filled it until it came out the hole.

This is how I always filled the differential fluids. When it starts to come out, it's full.

So 1500 miles later the brake backing plates are both wet. one more than the other. I took it to the dealer and he said I over filled it, and that's why it was leaking.

They did change the seals and the bearings all under warranty, no charge at all. I think it drives a bit smoother, no chatter feel (minor) under the pedal (I though was road vibrations)

So how much is the correct amount to add?
Old 11-19-2013, 03:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fill it untill it starts to drip out just as you did. I just leave the drain pan under it till the dripping stops. Reinstall the plug and done. If you want the exact amounts to replace, look on Project-JK. There are write ups there.

Quick Reply: Transfer case fluid change help quick