Transmission Flush

Transmission Flush

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    JK Newbie Hohertz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    58

    Default Transmission Flush

    Has anyone else out there recently had their transmission flushed? Did you have the filter changed as well?

    Recently hit 70k in my '08 JKU Rubicon and when getting my oil changed I asked the kwik kar about getting my transmission flushed and having the filter changed but they were wanting to charge me $289!!? I feel like that's a bit steep.

    Would appreciate some others advice and what I should expect to pay? Thanks!

  2. #2
    JK Enthusiast profebill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Do it yourself for free. A 10 yr old girl could do it. Just look in project jk write ups.

  3. #3
    JK Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    Posts
    123
    CheemsAF
    A no longer stock 2010 JKUR

  4. #4
    JK Enthusiast Gort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hohertz View Post
    Has anyone else out there recently had their transmission flushed? Did you have the filter changed as well?

    Recently hit 70k in my '08 JKU Rubicon and when getting my oil changed I asked the kwik kar about getting my transmission flushed and having the filter changed but they were wanting to charge me $289!!? I feel like that's a bit steep.

    Would appreciate some others advice and what I should expect to pay? Thanks!
    It's not a JK, but I recently had the fluid/filter changed in my Grand Cherokee (WJ). I normally do work myself (to the limits of my tools, knowledge, and time) but transmissions are something that I hate to do -- not because I don't know how, but because it always takes me twice as long to clean up the mess than it does to do the actual job (for some reason I always manage to miss the catch pans under the transmission when I drain the fluid). But I digress.

    I took my WJ to the dealer and asked them to change the fluid/filter in the transmission. They told me that they don't change filters anymore, they just do this special flush, because the filters don't need to be changed anymore. I pointed out that when Jeep built the vehicle, the OM stated that the transmission fluid and filter needed to be changed every 30K miles and asked when the "magic Jeep fairy" somehow managed to swing by my house and replace the transmission and filter with a lifetime one?

    I got the service done (filter replaced and fluid changed), but they didn't want to give it to me for the flush price (which I believe was 99 bucks), even after I pointed out the bullshit they were trying to feed me. It cost me 249 bucks (filters, fluid, permatex and labor).

    I don't think they were too happy with me, but I don't care. This dealership has a great parts department (they actually know WTF they're talking about), a great sales department that will bend over backwards for you years after the sale (and they have gone out of their way for me more than once -- I've lost count of the number of free things they've done for me and had billed to "sales" and the number of parts/accessories that I purchased for the sales price instead of retail. Of course, I've bought a lot of cars from them, too -- same salesperson for all but one.

    The service, department, on the other hand, will try to sell you synthetic blinker fluid at 35/quart and keep a straight face the entire time.
    2012 JKU Rubicon (Silver Metallic), 2011 JKU Sport S (Black), 2002 WJ Limited QuadraDrive (Stone White)
    Proud USAF Veteran

  5. #5
    JK Newbie jpzjk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    Posts
    94

    Default

    I had mine serviced last week and only dropped the pan and changed the filter.

    The dealer offered two options

    1) flush but no filter change ( they don't drop the pan on this option but all the fluid is changed

    2) drop the pan and change the filter. Refill the fluid which ends up to be about half of the transmissions fluid

    The 40k service that was suggested was option two so I had my private mech do the work @ $165 bucks with the mopar filter and fluid

    Hope that helps
    Price is soon forgotten...quality is not

  6. #6
    JK Newbie Hohertz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gort View Post
    It's not a JK, but I recently had the fluid/filter changed in my Grand Cherokee (WJ). I normally do work myself (to the limits of my tools, knowledge, and time) but transmissions are something that I hate to do -- not because I don't know how, but because it always takes me twice as long to clean up the mess than it does to do the actual job (for some reason I always manage to miss the catch pans under the transmission when I drain the fluid). But I digress.

    I took my WJ to the dealer and asked them to change the fluid/filter in the transmission. They told me that they don't change filters anymore, they just do this special flush, because the filters don't need to be changed anymore. I pointed out that when Jeep built the vehicle, the OM stated that the transmission fluid and filter needed to be changed every 30K miles and asked when the "magic Jeep fairy" somehow managed to swing by my house and replace the transmission and filter with a lifetime one?

    I got the service done (filter replaced and fluid changed), but they didn't want to give it to me for the flush price (which I believe was 99 bucks), even after I pointed out the bullshit they were trying to feed me. It cost me 249 bucks (filters, fluid, permatex and labor).

    I don't think they were too happy with me, but I don't care. This dealership has a great parts department (they actually know WTF they're talking about), a great sales department that will bend over backwards for you years after the sale (and they have gone out of their way for me more than once -- I've lost count of the number of free things they've done for me and had billed to "sales" and the number of parts/accessories that I purchased for the sales price instead of retail. Of course, I've bought a lot of cars from them, too -- same salesperson for all but one.

    The service, department, on the other hand, will try to sell you synthetic blinker fluid at 35/quart and keep a straight face the entire time.
    Thanks for the info. So it looks as though it will cost me $250 if I want fluid and filter change... Does anyone have any opinions on doing just the flush to save some money?

  7. #7
    JK Newbie Hohertz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpzjk View Post
    I had mine serviced last week and only dropped the pan and changed the filter.

    The dealer offered two options

    1) flush but no filter change ( they don't drop the pan on this option but all the fluid is changed

    2) drop the pan and change the filter. Refill the fluid which ends up to be about half of the transmissions fluid

    The 40k service that was suggested was option two so I had my private mech do the work @ $165 bucks with the mopar filter and fluid

    Hope that helps
    I'd definitely go for option 2 if I could find someone to do it for $165!!! Problem is finding a good mechanic

  8. #8
    JK Super Freak
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Attleboro, MA
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    I am not a fan of flushes. More personal preference on my end. I had one shop talk me into performing it on a car I had......... they ended up flushing the power steering thinking they had connected up to the transmission cooler lines. Never again for me.

    Just dropped the pan and replaced the filter on my wifes AWD BMW. Really wasn't bad at all. And that's one of those vehicles without a dipstick (and WITH a semi-elaborate fill process).
    Sold: '07 Sahara. Black, M6, power, 4.10's, dual-tops, tow.

  9. #9
    JK Junkie Delux2769's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Quinlan, TX
    Posts
    2,681

    Default

    I've never had a flush done. I've always dropped the pan and changed the filter.

    I guess, you could always do it twice and it would be almost a flush.
    SOLD : 2008 Sahara Unlimited 6-speed Rescue Green

    [X] RR XHD Winch Mount front bumper with Full Width Ends
    [X] Rough Country 4" Lift with 2.2 Shocks on front and Fox Shocks on rear (2-Door coils, gained 3" overall) Perfect height now.
    [X] RC 1.25" Body Lift
    [X] N-Fab Side Steps
    [X] Grab Handles
    [X] K&N Air Filter
    [X] Dynomax 17523 Exhaust
    [X] Mopar half-doors
    [X] 12K Winch
    [X] Snorkle
    [X] 2013 HARDTOP!

    RoughCountry.com
    Northridge4x4.com
    Quadratec.com

  10. #10
    JK Freak ninjajmoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Englewood, CO
    Posts
    548

    Default

    I did mine at 40k. used the write-up, easy as using a easy bake oven.
    2009 Sunburst Orange JKU
    Teraflex 2.5" + 2" spacer = 5"
    JKS FTB, Teraflex rear bracket
    1310 Coast FDS
    Evo Flip Kit
    Full Traction CA
    5100 shocks
    Rubi Rails
    JKS Discos
    Superchips
    315/75/16 Duratracs on crager Soft 8's
    Daystar upper dash upgrade
    Custom Stereo
    Hella 500 Black Magic
    Smittybilt seat covers front/rear
    rubber chicken
    Hardtop
    http://www.Northridge4x4.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •