JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Trektop question (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/trektop-question-249786/)

JeepNmurrayMurray 10-02-2012 03:39 PM

Trektop question

I've been considering purchasing a Trektop & would like to know the good or bad of these tops. My Jeep is a toy & don't have to go on a Daily basis. My understanding is this is both a bikini top & full top if you install the rear windows ?? I haven't seen one locally to look at. Thanks for your input.

Jared937 10-02-2012 05:25 PM

When I searched out my JKU 1.5 yrs ago, the only options I wanted were auto and hard top. Earlier this year, we realized if we wanted to be topless, we needed a soft top (or pulley system for raising the roof - and I figured the money better spent towards a soft top). I went with the NX top based on 1.price 2.ease of use/modularity & 3.looks. After having it on since June, I absolutely love the way it looks! As you'll see on other posts, it can be a little difficult to put on the first time, but I'm sure it was much easier than a regular soft top. And the modularity is awesome. It has a sunrider opening over the front seats that takes seconds to open/close. Then you can relatively easily zip off the rear three windows, so you're left with a bikini top (current set up, and most common for us). And if you make a little bigger committment, you can pull the entire top (I did have to refer to the directions when I put it back on after a couple of months). With the bikini set-up and full doors, I can hardly tell a difference. It was about 106 degrees today, and I did notice some heat behind me, but with the A/C blasting, my drive was a joy. And that's wearing a suit for work.

Regarding negatives of the top, I don't believe they are anything that one wouldn't experience with a factory-style soft top. I had a 2007 2-door with the soft top, and I like the NX MUCH better. One thing I do not like is attaching/removing the bar on the bottom of the rear window. It can be a real pain in the arse to remove it or put it back on, and this factors into my decision to leave the rear windows off. To me, it's a win-win. I get a partial open-top feeling (fold back sunrider for even more!), and I don't have to deal with that damn bar! Keep in mind, on my '07 soft top, I absolutely never attached the bar, because it would not stay on anyways. The only other "negative" is the form-over-function design which looks great (IMO), but trades some interior space. We camp a lot as a family, and I work around it. Which means I use my hitch basket or utility trailer more often!

I hope this helps. I'm sure you'd like some pictures, so I will get some posted up within a day or so.

Jared937 10-02-2012 05:44 PM

One more note about NX vs. stock-style soft top. In order to go topless, you need to remove the rear three windows with both. With a factory-style top, you can then fold it down, and it sits on the back of the Jeep like a normal convertible top. You can't just "fold back" the NX. After you remove the windows and open the sunrider, from there, you need to remove the top completely. Not a huge issue, but you need to plan accordingly. I want to try to have full disclosure! If anything else comes to me, I'll put it up here.

JeepNmurrayMurray 10-03-2012 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jared937
When I searched out my JKU 1.5 yrs ago, the only options I wanted were auto and hard top. Earlier this year, we realized if we wanted to be topless, we needed a soft top (or pulley system for raising the roof - and I figured the money better spent towards a soft top). I went with the NX top based on 1.price 2.ease of use/modularity & 3.looks. After having it on since June, I absolutely love the way it looks! As you'll see on other posts, it can be a little difficult to put on the first time, but I'm sure it was much easier than a regular soft top. And the modularity is awesome. It has a sunrider opening over the front seats that takes seconds to open/close. Then you can relatively easily zip off the rear three windows, so you're left with a bikini top (current set up, and most common for us). And if you make a little bigger committment, you can pull the entire top (I did have to refer to the directions when I put it back on after a couple of months). With the bikini set-up and full doors, I can hardly tell a difference. It was about 106 degrees today, and I did notice some heat behind me, but with the A/C blasting, my drive was a joy. And that's wearing a suit for work.

Regarding negatives of the top, I don't believe they are anything that one wouldn't experience with a factory-style soft top. I had a 2007 2-door with the soft top, and I like the NX MUCH better. One thing I do not like is attaching/removing the bar on the bottom of the rear window. It can be a real pain in the arse to remove it or put it back on, and this factors into my decision to leave the rear windows off. To me, it's a win-win. I get a partial open-top feeling (fold back sunrider for even more!), and I don't have to deal with that damn bar! Keep in mind, on my '07 soft top, I absolutely never attached the bar, because it would not stay on anyways. The only other "negative" is the form-over-function design which looks great (IMO), but trades some interior space. We camp a lot as a family, and I work around it. Which means I use my hitch basket or utility trailer more often!

I hope this helps. I'm sure you'd like some pictures, so I will get some posted up within a day or so.

Thank you. The pluses seem to out weigh the negatives. I like the same things about a top that you seem to. Very helpful, again, thanks.