Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Trying to get my JK back to looking good. Need some help sourcing parts, ideas?

Old 12-27-2018, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to get my JK back to looking good. Need some help sourcing parts, ideas?

Hey Guys,

My 2011 JK Rubicon Unlimited is my do-it-all vehicle, road trips, hunting, off road, picking up groceries.

It has take a bit of a beating and I need help finding some parts to get her looking good again.

I need:
Back window for the softop (my dog ran his face through it, yes really...)
Passenger mirror housing and glass (hit and run at Walmart, my fault for shopping there)
Passenger seatbelt (dog chewed it, my fault for leaving him in the car while I was in Walmart)

Does anyone have any ideas on where to source these parts? Has anyone who's upgraded got any extras they'd be willing to part with?

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-27-2018, 12:36 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I'd probably be doing a mirror/housing off eBay. I've bought replacement mirror from ebay before and it was fine. You do need to pay attention if it's heated or not if you need a heated one.

I'd be looking at a factory new seatbelt if it were me, and that one is probably gonna hurt the pocket a bit. BTW, when I bedlined my JKU, I had to totally remove those front seat belts. That Torx bolt at the bottom of the tub was a MAJOR SOB to remove. It was in there TIGHT, and pretty much stripped the torx head in a few tries. I ended up having to blast that bolt with a butane torch and then crank it a few turns, heat it more, crank some more. If I recall, the bolt didn't have blue loctite like you'd expect, it was more of a puddy looking substance. Anyhow, I replaced with a grade 8 hex for future ease.

If you have time on the rear window, I'd be searching Craigslist. If not, Quadratec might be the best quick solution.
The following users liked this post:
chelski (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I'd probably be doing a mirror/housing off eBay. I've bought replacement mirror from ebay before and it was fine. You do need to pay attention if it's heated or not if you need a heated one.

I'd be looking at a factory new seatbelt if it were me, and that one is probably gonna hurt the pocket a bit. BTW, when I bedlined my JKU, I had to totally remove those front seat belts. That Torx bolt at the bottom of the tub was a MAJOR SOB to remove. It was in there TIGHT, and pretty much stripped the torx head in a few tries. I ended up having to blast that bolt with a butane torch and then crank it a few turns, heat it more, crank some more. If I recall, the bolt didn't have blue loctite like you'd expect, it was more of a puddy looking substance. Anyhow, I replaced with a grade 8 hex for future ease.

If you have time on the rear window, I'd be searching Craigslist. If not, Quadratec might be the best quick solution.
Thanks for the ideas, I will give ebay and craigslist a look. Hopefully someone on the forum has the window lying around, I'd imagine that's a bit tougher to find?

Yeah, I was thinking of going to the dealer for the seatbelt while I am there for a recall fix. I am worried about what they will quote me for it!
Old 12-28-2018, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 332 Posts

resharp001 has an excellent point, get a new seatbelt... SAFETY 1st... price range is in the 260 - 325. Mirror and back window you might find in salvage yards; I would check there too.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I see you posted wanting a rear window in the marketplace section. One other idea is looking for a cheap soft top on Craigslist in your area, just taking the rear window from it, and flipping the rest of the top back out for sale without the window. It might be cheaper for you that way....

Also, confirm, but I believe the rear window on the '07-'10 models were a bit smaller than the '11-'18 models.

I have no clue if the 4dr rear window differs from the 2dr, but this doesn't look like a bad deal on eBay if they are the same....and you could flip the 2 side windows back out for sale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Jeep-W...-/183572709256

***edit - sorry, just noticed that listing was in New Jersey for "local" pickup
Old 01-03-2019, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by chelski
Yeah, I was thinking of going to the dealer for the seatbelt while I am there for a recall fix. I am worried about what they will quote me for it!
Just get the Part Number for the seatbelt from the dealership. Don't purchase it over the counter, unless you're in a hurry and enjoy paying an arm and a leg for it. Instead go on ebay or Amazon and do a search on the P/N or a website such as Mopar America.
https://www.moparamerica.com/oem-par...ine-77070088ad

What I learned over the years is that many of the dealerships are trying to compete with online pricing. Mopar America is one such dealership. Do a Google search on Mopar America's mailing address and you will find the corresponding name of the dealership and its location pop up in the search results. Most of the online Mopar parts store websites are actually dealerships but they don't put their dealership name on the website and it's a completely different website than the actual dealer website. Anyways, their prices when ordered online through their Mopar parts discount website will be 30-40% lower than if you purchased them over the counter at the dealership. It's coming from the same place however. I have a dealership in my area who hosts one of these discounted Mopar parts websites. I will order the part on their Mopar part discount website, select pick-up instead of shipping, and then go into the dealership Mopar parts counter and pick up the part. Typically, I save at least 35% from their over the counter price...but the thing is, I'm picking it up over the counter and not having to pay shipping cost as well.

To give you an example, the dealer price on a rear JK Hard rock bumper over the counter price is $899. I purchased it through the dealerships Mopar discount website for $640 and picked it up over their counter at the dealership. These dealerships are also on Ebay and Amazon selling the parts at a discounted price as well, thus the reason I say to check there, but you can feel comfortable you're actually purchasing from a legitimate Mopar parts supplier.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-03-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Just get the Part Number for the seatbelt from the dealership. Don't purchase it over the counter, unless you're in a hurry and enjoy paying an arm and a leg for it. Instead go on ebay or Amazon and do a search on the P/N or a website such as Mopar America.
https://www.moparamerica.com/oem-par...ine-77070088ad

What I learned over the years is that many of the dealerships are trying to compete with online pricing. Mopar America is one such dealership. Do a Google search on Mopar America's mailing address and you will find the corresponding name of the dealership and its location pop up in the search results. Most of the online Mopar parts store websites are actually dealerships but they don't put their dealership name on the website and it's a completely different website than the actual dealer website. Anyways, their prices when ordered online through their Mopar parts discount website will be 30-40% lower than if you purchased them over the counter at the dealership. It's coming from the same place however. I have a dealership in my area who hosts one of these discounted Mopar parts websites. I will order the part on their Mopar part discount website, select pick-up instead of shipping, and then go into the dealership Mopar parts counter and pick up the part. Typically, I save at least 35% from their over the counter price...but the thing is, I'm picking it up over the counter and not having to pay shipping cost as well.

To give you an example, the dealer price on a rear JK Hard rock bumper over the counter price is $899. I purchased it through the dealerships Mopar discount website for $640 and picked it up over their counter at the dealership. These dealerships are also on Ebay and Amazon selling the parts at a discounted price as well, thus the reason I say to check there, but you can feel comfortable you're actually purchasing from a legitimate Mopar parts supplier.
Great tips, Thank you!

I'm probably going to get the cracked windshield and side mirror taken care of through my insurance and then handle the back window and the seatbelt (part not install) on my own. Cheers!

Quick Reply: Trying to get my JK back to looking good. Need some help sourcing parts, ideas?