Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Two or Four Doors. Which is better?

Old 08-02-2016, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This topic comes up frequently. Given that I am not an old-and-in-the-way Jeep owner, I have no allegiance to the old ("iconic" you might say) layout and appearance of the Jeep.

Honestly, purely based on aesthetics and not in reference to the old Jeeps, I believe the 4-door is a better-balanced design and just looks better in the JK. No way a 116-inch wheelbase and two extra doors would really work as well in the CJ/YJ/TJ body style, but for the JK, the Unlimited is the better looking Jeep.

Now, if you have any concerns whatsoever about practicality, then you will regret not getting the Unlimited. I say this after driving two-seat sports cars for over two decades before buying my Wrangler. I know all about the types of lifestyle adjustments you have to make in order to accommodate a vehicle with limited practicality. I wouldn't say a 2-door Wrangler is impractical but if carrying >1 extra passenger is more than a once-in-a-blue-moon occurrence, then you will seriously appreciate the 4-door.

Considering the Unlimited outsells the 2-door by a 2:1 ratio or more, I don't think I'm alone in this. And also the Unlimited is probably almost entirely responsible for the longevity of the Wrangler as a model. IMHO the 2-door is oversized and overweight given its practical limitations. I personally would never have bought a Jeep if the only choice was the 2-door, because if I have to make practicality sacrifices to make a 2-door Wrangler work, I would rather have another sports car instead.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RiveraJK10
Personally like the look of the two door better. I have dabbled about getting a four door for my wife in the future though. Thoughts?
Practicality of the four door and the off road performance of the two door.
I own a stock 4 door Rubi and love it. I am also aware of its limitations when it comes to off roading. Pick your poison
Old 12-19-2016, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by d. gage
Having had a 14 jku Willys and now a 15 JKR it's a toss up on a day to day basis. I wanted a more "traditional " jeep so I went 2 door. I have 2 kids under 6 years old and did a 2,000 mile trip for spring break with a weeks worth of clothes/toys/beach gear for 4 people and it did awesome. Just get yourself one of the aluminum hitch baskets from Quadratec with the waterproof bag and you have plenty of room. A 4 door is 75% easier in that respect.

Having written this over 5 months ago, I am currently looking for my 2 door rubicons 4 door replacement...the 2 door is a FANTASTIC vehicle in every way, but I'm growing tired of the lack of space and the difficulty getting my kids in and out of the backseat. Not to mention I do a LOT of miles and frequently take long trips and the smaller fuel tank makes itself known. Bottom line, if you have kids you can talk yourself into a 2 door like I did, but I knew I messed up within a few weeks...
Old 12-19-2016, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
This is such a ridiculous topic. LOL!

It's like asking what's better, small tits or big tits? HAHAHAHA!
That's not the funniest thing I've ever heard you say... but it's definitely top 3.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sweet, hopefully we can solve this dilemma this time around. We've gotten close in the past. 😅

Last edited by Cutman; 12-19-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RiveraJK10
Personally like the look of the two door better. I have dabbled about getting a four door for my wife in the future though. Thoughts?
I think that if you aren't 100% sold on a 2-door then you will probably be happier with 4-doors. When in doubt, more doors wins out.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:58 PM
JK Super Freak

I've owned 2 door Jeeps as a younger dude and loved it but ever since my first kid I've had 4 doors. After owning 3 JKURs, even if I didn't have kids, I'd never go back to a 2 door. The extra space is worth it plus I think they look better lifted and modded out.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Totally depends on purpose. I've only owned 2 door Jeeps, because they aren't my daily driver and I like the "sporty" look of the 2 door vs the 4 door. I don't do much wheeling anymore and I consider it my weekend "convertible" / Hotrod (hoping to do a manual LS conversion soon). Sold my big bike too - just because I enjoy driving the open top Jeep just as much and it's obviously safer. If my daily driver, then I would go 4-door (but keep my 2-door just because it's more fun to drive).

Just my position and 2-cents.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

This isn't even worth a thread. It's about personal preference.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default hmmm after giving this a lot of thought over the last 9 months.....

oh - sorry - not THAT kind of 9 months......

i picked up a 2 door Willy's in April 2016- love it - but it is a bit too tight for home depot and grocery hauling

so now i am seriously looking to trade in the Mazda for a 4 door Unlimited

hey - i need a car around town right?

paul

Quick Reply: Two or Four Doors. Which is better?