Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Walmart oil scam WARNING

Old 07-28-2012, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walmart oil scam WARNING

Went to do my first oil change on my 12 with 1900 miles yesterday. Since I was installing a Quick Drain Oil Valve, as I have on all my cars I figured I would do the first one myself. And also I have Mobil 1 in all my vehicles as that is all I have used for 25 years. Okay so I go to Wal-Mart to get two 5 gal. containers of 5w30 for the oil change. BTW I also only use Mopar filters. I Darin the oil, remove the canister filter and put on the quick valve. Here's were it get stupid I open the first container of oil only to discover........ on seal AND somebody had put used oil in, capped it and returned it. To say I was pissed is an understatement. My wife thought I was going to have a coronary. So back to Fraud-Mart poised for a fight. Well they thought about giving me a hard time BUT. They either saw my red face, vein in my neck pulsating or my really low key pissed off tone because they exchanged the oil for me. A friend said check the containers before you leave the store, but 1) I never thought I had to do that, 2) it breaks the plastic seal and that really isn't cool. But guess what I will be doing that going forward. Anybody else have a similar experience? Or was this and isolated incident?
Old 07-28-2012, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had purchase a mountain bike from Walmart. After about 2 days use, both pedals broke and the oil was leaking out of the front rock shocks. I had zip tied the pedals back together initially just thinking it was cheap pedals but when the shock started leaking I decided to return it. A few days later a friend of mine was there and saw it back on the rack, zip ties and all. That's just crazy!
Old 07-28-2012, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

this isnt a WALMART scam - its just indicative of their customer base....some dumbass thinks hes smart taking his old oil back in the jug and getting his money back....walmart is all about low cost, high volume....they dont have time to be empty-ing and refilling oil jugs.

as for the bicycle - you get what you pay for & its completely true w/ walmart...cheap chinese junk, at the absolute lowest possible cost (for walmart), so they can squeak some xtra margin out of it for their shareholders and profit.

i wouldnt buy any goods there that werent already a commodity (beer, bread, milk, oil, oil filters, some ammo)....the rest they can keep, cause its all sub standard garbage !
Old 07-28-2012, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Bush I agree I go there for oil and ammo because they are the cheapest around where I live on LI. I was just pissed and venting. It's a changing world I guess.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put my used oil back in the jug to take back to walmart... But I take it to their automotive center to be recycled not returned!!
Old 07-28-2012, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sergeant Seda
Ive have bought plenty of stuff from walmart. It a matter of where you live. walmart in the city = trash. walmart in the country = great. I mean literally there is a huge difference it kinda funny. At my walmart the sell brand name.
the brand name items are often specially mfg or feature reduced items w/ UNIQUE sku's or p/n's for them only....just cause it has a familiar name on it doesnt always mean its the same quality.

demographics do play into it (but only from a point of product selection)....face it they dont sell high quality items period and they DONT sell the more pricey items in areas where the medium income doesnt buy or cant afford it.

Originally Posted by guzzigreg
Bush I agree I go there for oil and ammo because they are the cheapest around where I live on LI. I was just pissed and venting. It's a changing world I guess.
i get it....theyve done a great job of dumbing down american into thinking disposable & cheap win over quality and longevity ! theyve done plenty toward lowering our expectations.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing with spark plugs. I got into the habit of checking the boxes as soon as the parts guy hands them to me. You don't know how many times someone will buy a box of 8, use 6 and put his old ones back in and return the whole thing. The cashier checks the first few and assumes its ok.
I rarely buy anything with out opening it first. My girlfriend hates when I do it, but I hate getting ripped off more.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wal-Mart = cheap chinese crap always has and always will...
Old 07-28-2012, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"walmart scam"? Really?

Way to cry wolf.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

First Rule > NEVER go to a super market to shop for your auto.

Second Rule > NEVER go to a auto parts store to shop for food and beverage.

Hope these two rules help for your next purchase.

Quick Reply: Walmart oil scam WARNING