Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wanted: to tow a toy hauler. Any recommendations?

Old 03-11-2012, 04:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Wanted: to tow a toy hauler. Any recommendations?

Have a 2012 jku manual trans with the max tow package. No mods. I also have a Suzuki intruder 1400 cruiser. I've been shopping for a small toy hauler so I can use the jeep to take the intruder on vacations. Not much to pick from, but there are some 17-19ft toy haulers less than 3500 pounds. Anyone on here have a toy hauler they pull with the JKU?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if your looking for an enclosed or open trailer, but for carrying a single bike you'll be ok with an open or enclosed trailer.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:34 PM
JK Junkie

I want a toy hauler which is a travel trailer with a rear ramp and "garage" area. They have stove, toilet, shower, microwave, heat, air, bed. I already have an open landscape trailer. Looking for one I can camp in. They are available, but none in this region. Ones I see on line are called Rush, or Blast, or Wildwood. The ones from livinlite are not too homey and quite expensive.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too heavy. You may be able to move it but it'll be hello to stop it....wear jeep out super fast.....
Probably illegal too.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by nictac1
Too heavy. You may be able to move it but it'll be hello to stop it....wear jeep out super fast.....
Probably illegal too.
Why would you say too heavy and illegal? My jeep has the max TOW package. It's rated for 3500 pounds. The trailer will have its own brakes connected to a brake controller in my jeep.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a few options really.

You could mod your JKU to actually pull stuff if you really wanted. Going to need a bunch of work and a bunch of money and will mess up your ability to offroad a bit. New springs, engine upgrades, higher load tires, higher rated drivetrain components, axles, etc...

You could do like my better half and I do. Camp in the back of the JKU and pull your toys with a light open trailer. Lots of stock options to pull bikes, dirt bikes, atvs, rhinos, etc. It is surprisingly comfortable and actually pretty fun.

The other option would be to buy a used f150 and use that to tow a much bigger 5th wheel toyhauler. For what it would cost to mod the jeep out to pull something you can actually use you are better off just buying something that can already pull it.

Could get yourself a big RV with a toy gate and drag the jeep behind it. You get all your stuff then.

Haha on that big bike you could probably toss a tow hitch on it and pull the Jeep even.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:25 PM
JK Junkie

Folks on here not getting it. They make very light weight toy haulers that our jku's can tow. I am just having extreme difficulty findings ones around new jersey. Lots to be found in Arizona and southern California. I am not looking to tow a huge one. Just need bed, sink, toilet, shower, stove and fridge. Only my wife and I. Check the links for ones I would like to find around here. Prefer to find something used.
http://www.eastsiderv.com/RushToyHauler_19FC.htm

http://dunesport.com/view_toy_hauler.php?orderid=372800

http://dunesport.com/view_toy_hauler.php?orderid=323336
Old 03-25-2012, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Military M101A1 to A3 trailers - cheap and HEAVY DUTY!
Look for military auctions near you, they typically start at about $150 - got one recently and love it!
Google search Govt. auctions - it's amazing how many of these trailers are out there i various conditions.
Many guys go for the M101A3 because of surge brakes and larger trailer capacity.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Folks on here not getting it. They make very light weight toy haulers that our jku's can tow. I am just having extreme difficulty findings ones around new jersey. Lots to be found in Arizona and southern California. I am not looking to tow a huge one. Just need bed, sink, toilet, shower, stove and fridge. Only my wife and I. Check the links for ones I would like to find around here. Prefer to find something used.
http://www.eastsiderv.com/RushToyHauler_19FC.htm

http://dunesport.com/view_toy_hauler.php?orderid=372800

http://dunesport.com/view_toy_hauler.php?orderid=323336

I dunno to me that seems like a ton of weight behind a JKU. The second one has a dry weight of 3300 pounds. That is 200 pounds away from max towing capacity without even adding your big vulcan(amost 600lbs), freshwater to those tanks(480 pounds), any other gear(200 pounds), food(30), etc. I could feel a 1000 pound loaded trailer behind my 2008 JKU a huge sail of a toy hauler at over max towing capacity(probably 5000 pounds or so loaded) would be marginal at best for short trips. For longer trips which I would guess is why you would want it in the first place I would really think twice about it.

Aside from those issues you have the physical limitations of the actual jeep. You have ligher load rated tires then a truck. They dont handle towing the same way. The springs and drivetrain as mentioned before are not setup for it either. Then you have another big weak point. You are using a class 2 hitch. Most of those are rated between 200 to 350 pounds. Given you are about to pull about 5000 or so you are looking at about doubling the recommended load on the class 2 hitch. Im not saying it cant be done but it is not as simple as finding a lightweight trailer on ebay and away you go with it behind your jeep.

I would personally recommend going to a nearby trailer dealer and hitching up something that empty weighs 5000 pounds or so then go drive it around for ten miles and then make your choice from there. I think you will change your mind.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Junkie

The rush 19fc toy hauler has a dry weight of 2750. My bike weighs about 600 pounds. So with other gear loaded I will be just a tad over 3500 pounds. The dealer for the rush is about 250 miles away. He said they are willing to let me hook up a trailer and drive it around to see how it feels prior to purchasing.

Quick Reply: Wanted: to tow a toy hauler. Any recommendations?