Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wasted Money or Money well spent. The best or worst Mods for your money.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wasted Money or Money well spent. The best or worst Mods for your money.

I'm not really starting this thread to bash any one company's products, but rather to give an opinion on, whether it be positive or negative, on any MODs done to his/her JK.

and I'll start.......

Alot of stuff by alot of companies seems like overpriced flare or straight up crap.

these are a list of things that A.)I would not waste my money on, or B.) at least a reason why I would recomend them (from personal experience)

1.)Vertically Driven Products HIDDEN SECURITY STORAGE BOX (cheaply made ...I mean seriously.... its held in with a f'n wing nut to a piece of plastic. My 8 year old neice could pull it lose) (gets my don't waste your money stamp)

2.) The Tailgate pod for the JK ( If you absolutely feel the need to spend 119.00 dollars for this piece of crap.... send me 9.99 and I'll send you an old sock and some duct tape which will work equally as well.) Don't waste your money. PERIOD!

3.) TUFFY CONCEAL CARRY SECURITY DRAWER - great product... holds my Tarus JUDGE perfect. along with a spare box of shells, also its quiet with no rattles, and is perfect for when the doors are off, and you can cram more than just guns in it.

4.) Misch OVERHEAD STORAGE SHELF - not worth the money. nice when the tops on ...useless when its not. way over priced.

5.) RR XHD Modular Front Bumper - great product...Speaks for itself. Custom for each driver and Jeep. Sturdy and fits a wide range of winches.

6.) Rancho Rear Bumper and tire carrier. - what can I say, its made out of metal.... thats about the best I can say for it. (Rancho + bumper = poor product) but you can make it work and it has the ability to add on. Poor install directions also....I think a 3 year old made the install directions.)

7.) HighRock 4X4 ELEMENT DOORS - great doors. save your money on the storage bags...they fit like crap and flap like fat girl's ass at speeds above 15 miles per hour.

8.) Warn Power Plant dual force Winch - wondering why it took so long to come up with this concept. Warn ...you guys f'n rock! (but takes a shot to ball sack to fork it over for the price....only 12 payments left, ahhhhhhhh!)

these are just a start... and what im really looking for is what others have to comment on and why they think something is a great product or why its crap.

(my opinion only matters to me , and if im lucky ...a few others., but if i can help you not waste money thats the threads purpose.

Like I said ... if i save some poor soul form wasting hard earned money ...great.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by d2constable
7.) HighRock 4X4 ELEMENT DOORS - great doors. save your money on the storage bags...they fit like crap and flap like fat girl's ass at speeds above 15 miles per hour.

I guess the thing i regret most is those jeep towel seat covers. They bunch up after you sit in them and slide out when you get out of the jeep
Old 07-31-2010, 10:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default No replies?

Wow over 90 views and not two people have bought one thing for their Jeep JK that they were unhappy with (also , nothing anyone would recommend for another JK owner)
....wow!
I didn't know there were that many unmodified stock JKs out there.

I guess ...a lot of mall crawlers out there?
Old 07-31-2010, 10:13 PM
JK Junkie

My jeep is pretty unmodified except for tires and wheels just waiting for funds, and knowing I completely need something.
Something good was H3 Hella Lamps and gas tank lid with lock and I put foam to block off the black hole between the dash and windshield
Bad K&N CAI pretty much only for on road not good for mudding so I reinstalled the stock air box before I went mudding and bug deflector doesn't do anything but it was given for free.

Last edited by matt852; 07-31-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:15 PM
JK Super Freak

i'll play..... here is my signature

Chopped Mopar Offroad Front Bumper (well i chopped cause i didnt like it, probably better with the stock fog cut outs....definately better looking bumpers out there for price)
Body Armour Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier (got it for free..enough said)
Warn 9.5Ti w/Viking Synthetic 3/8" x 100' (money well spent, synthetic great, safe upgrade, used winch >20x without a glitch)
Kumho Road Venturer MTs 35/12.5/17 (good deal on CL, wearing fast, great in mud)
Teraflex 2.5" Coil Lift w/Bilstein 5100 Shocks (teraflex sells great stuff, bilsteins are worth every penny)
JKS Quicker Disconnects, Adjustable Front TB (JKS stuff is top notch)
Xenon Narrow Flat Fenders (had wider version got discount on narrows because of not being happy, if i did it all over again i would have bushwacker flat flares)
AEV Ram Air Snorkel (cheap insurance when doing deep water)
IPF H4 Headlights (great upgrade)
Crown Brakelines (necessary upgrade after stock ones failed)
PSC Diff Covers (yet to be determined)
Cobra CB w/4' Firestik (meh ... it works)
Old 07-31-2010, 10:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Snorkel?

Would you recommend the snorkel? I like the looks of the AEV snorkel and the RR looks good but there is one that I can't remember the name of, but it looks about good as a mullet perm.

it looks cool, but is it worth the money if you don't really hit many water crossings?

Oh yeah, thank for the input! Your rig definitely doesn't sound like a mall crawler.

I'm trying to decide on a lift and other peoples input will probably be the determining factor.

Last edited by d2constable; 07-31-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by d2constable
Would you recommend the snorkel? I like the looks of the AEV snorkel and the RR looks good but there is one that I can't remember the name of, but it looks about good as a mullet perm.

it looks cool, but is it worth the money if you don't really hit many water crossings?
where we wheel up here yes snorkel is well worth the 300$. the other one you are thinking about is the volant snorkel which ties into a CAI i think (http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...l&pn=17000.11X). and yes mullet perm indeed. remember if you are just running a snorkel for looks you are doing cutting that cant be altered to either your hood or side panel (RR).
Old 07-31-2010, 10:51 PM
JK Junkie

On the AEV whats the difference between the scoop vs. prefilter the prefilter looks safer in deep water.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

3" Tera-Flex lift (pay the money...get it with the flex arms...cant say enough about teraflex products.)
BFG Mud terrain KM 35x12.50-17 PRO-Comp wheels(BFG...proven. great all around worth every penny.)
PRO-Comp wheels(they are round. the finish is quick to deteriorate. all in all buy something else.)
High Rock Roller winch bumper(A really big piece of metal. That said the mounts bend when using my winch. uhh the powder coat is weak. The roller works though and it protects E-disco.)
JE Reel Driveshafts(Must have ENUFF SAID)
Warn 9500ti(money well spent. just need to get syn line and get rid of the rattling roller fairlead.)
5.13 Gears(always worth the money)
KC Daylighters(They are good lights they do what they are supposed to.)
Bushwacker Flares(Not a big fan of the pocket style flares. I dont really have a choice though. i needed something to cover the 35's German Law...so they do the trick if you need that much coverage.)

Last edited by JK Woody; 08-01-2010 at 02:36 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Tail light guards- JUNK. Haven't seen a pair for the JK that don't screw directly onto the lens. If something hits your taillight guard, then the guard folds like wet cardboard and smashes the light.

Quick Reply: Wasted Money or Money well spent. The best or worst Mods for your money.