JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Water inside the freedom top panels? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/water-inside-freedom-top-panels-201499/)

BOOST 10-25-2011 01:35 AM

Water inside the freedom top panels?

So one of my Freedom top panels had water in it, I discovered this after hearing a wooshing sound while driving for a few days, At first I thought maybe a leak into the sound bar, but as taking the panels off, sure enough the passenger side had water in it..

So my question being anyone else have this? Are they designed like that? Should this be a warranty issue it's a 2010

ronjenx 10-25-2011 03:42 AM

I have had the sloshing water sound in my front panels, too.
It always seems to go away in a day or two, so I don't worry about it.
Haven't had the sound in a long time, though. And the top has never leaked into the cabin.

Candlemuse 10-25-2011 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by ronjenx (Post 2609915)
I have had the sloshing water sound in my front panels, too.
It always seems to go away in a day or two, so I don't worry about it.
Haven't had the sound in a long time, though. And the top has never leaked into the cabin.

Exactly the same here.

jckid 10-25-2011 02:44 PM

When I test drove an '11 Rubicon, there was water sloshing in the Freedom panel. As I turned a corner, some of the water entered the cabin. That was right after a rainstorm, but it was a dealbreaker for me. I found a different Rubicon at another dealer. So far, no water in the Freedom panels. Also I had an '07 for four years, and I never had water in the panels. I do live where it's pretty dry though.

Gr808JK 10-25-2011 05:10 PM

Have had the same thing here, on my '08 JKU. Took it to the dealer, said the only thing they could do is replace the seals... I didn't want the dealer jacking around w/ my Jeep to make things worse (and I don't think the seals are bad- maybe were dirty when I put the panels back on). So, I just live with it (doesn't happen often).

On mine, the water comes in thru the weep holes on the back edge of the tops. I suggested to the dealer to seal w/ silicone, to which they said, definately don't do that. The holes are there to let moisture out of the channels of the panel. Seems it works opposite of how they were designed :dontknow2:

zech80 10-25-2011 05:30 PM

I had this in my 09 the dealer said they took care of it we will see. I had the top off since. Its a big problem cuz mine smelled musty

owtcast 10-25-2011 06:35 PM

I had that happen a couple weeks ago. I had taken the top off and set it in the back yard. Same with the top panels. The panels were leaning against the wall when a storm blew up and pushed the top panels over in the grass, upside down. No damage but, the rain water gathered in the top panels. When I picked them up, they had plenty of water sloshing around in them. I figured if it got in there, it could come out. So I held them up in the air rotating them until the water came pouring out. It took a couple minutes each but the water came out and I put them in the sun to heat up and evaporate all the moisture that may be left. Since then, they have never gotten any water in them, and I haven't had any negative results.:dontknow2: Note, there is more than one place water can enter from. Not sure about other's but, there really isn't a way for water to get into them unless they are upside down. Your's may vary.

mijku 10-26-2011 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Gr808JK
Have had the same thing here, on my '08 JKU. Took it to the dealer, said the only thing they could do is replace the seals... I didn't want the dealer jacking around w/ my Jeep to make things worse (and I don't think the seals are bad- maybe were dirty when I put the panels back on). So, I just live with it (doesn't happen often).

On mine, the water comes in thru the weep holes on the back edge of the tops. I suggested to the dealer to seal w/ silicone, to which they said, definately don't do that. The holes are there to let moisture out of the channels of the panel. Seems it works opposite of how they were designed :dontknow2:

If the holes are there to let moisture out, I wonder if it would be ok to seal that hole and drill another hole in a dryer location to let out potential moisture.

BigRed08jk 10-26-2011 05:57 AM

I had the same exact thing when I test drove my 08 JKU in March. As I made a turn I heard ice chunks and water in my passenger side freedom top. It never came in the cabin though. Told the dealer and they replaced it for free! Good luck with the problem!

CdnJeepDan 10-26-2011 06:19 AM

I had the same issue when I got my '08.

You're probably over-tightening the big screws at the back of the panels. If you over-tighten them you close off the gasket's "channel" that water is supposed to run down and out the sides... Since it can't flow out, it backs up, eventually goes into the vent holes in the freedom panels and begins filling them.

Just tighten them until they make firm contact then give them an extra 1/4 turn to snug up.