Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Water inside the freedom top panels?

Old 10-30-2011, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CdnJeepDan
I had the same issue when I got my '08.

You're probably over-tightening the big screws at the back of the panels. If you over-tighten them you close off the gasket's "channel" that water is supposed to run down and out the sides... Since it can't flow out, it backs up, eventually goes into the vent holes in the freedom panels and begins filling them.

Just tighten them until they make firm contact then give them an extra 1/4 turn to snug up.
I'll give this a try. I have the same thing, at first I thought it was a water bottle left in the back. I removed the bottle, but the noise remains, right over my head.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I still have this problem after heavy rains, drivers side only. I just take it off and drain it, but this last time I covered up the weep hole with electrical tape, then put a small slice into that. We'll see if that helps.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

that didnt help, and water would leak into the cabin. Distracting when Im driving and water drips on the steering wheel. I took it into the dealer and they had the water leak expert look at it. turns out they are going to replace the entire panel.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:17 AM
JK Super Freak

My 08 only takes in water when the hand screws are under tightened never when overtightned. There is a sweet spot between over and undertightening the screws if they are too loose they take in water if the are too tight the panels creak. Getting water out is easy just keep tilting the panels until all of the water runs out and they will be fine.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got the new panel installed today. yes, the deal said because it was a warranty claim, they had to install the drivers side freedom roof panel. Took only 45 minutes. We'll see if that fixes it.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting thread... I take my Jeep to a touchless carwash so I figured I didn't have any leaking top issue but yester we had one of those texas down pours in the afternoon and the jeep was parked outside.

When I left work for the day and drove around I could hear sloshing in my freedom panel and water started leaking all over the passanger seat. I pulled over took the tops out and let them drain out... I do tightnen my panels pretty good b/c I am always dealing with the panels rattling and poping so I'll try till the next rain storm but if it happens again I might see if the dealership can look at it.

one more jeep thing I guess.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just leave those screws out, put them in only for a few months in winter to cut down on the creaking of the panels when they are cold.

I think those screws cause more problems than they are worth, and the top is not going anywhere without them.

Have never had water in the panels, or leaks inside the Jeep.
The following users liked this post:
Martial (06-24-2020)
Old 08-10-2012, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

no more water for me, either in the top or dripping on me, since the panel was replaced. Its nice not to think or hear it anymore.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:56 PM
JK Newbie

Default water in freedom panel

Originally Posted by BOOST
So one of my Freedom top panels had water in it, I discovered this after hearing a wooshing sound while driving for a few days, At first I thought maybe a leak into the sound bar, but as taking the panels off, sure enough the passenger side had water in it..

So my question being anyone else have this? Are they designed like that? Should this be a warranty issue it's a 2010

i had the same problem in my 2011 sport. I had taken the top off and it began to ran so i rushed the top back on . In the process the seal had wore off and was sticking threw the middle of the panels. then the water problem. slight leak because i didnt put the top on correctly. so i hung the panel up let it dry, resealed the top, fixed the problem. have no clue how the water got in but the seal is the key. make sure that you seal the tops of and there are no gaps will prevent the water issue. well this is what i did , its worked so far. hope this helps
Old 06-24-2020, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CdnJeepDan
I had the same issue when I got my '08.

You're probably over-tightening the big screws at the back of the panels. If you over-tighten them you close off the gasket's "channel" that water is supposed to run down and out the sides... Since it can't flow out, it backs up, eventually goes into the vent holes in the freedom panels and begins filling them.

Just tighten them until they make firm contact then give them an extra 1/4 turn to snug up.
I had water coming in at the B-pillars, over the rear-view mirror occasionally, and water getting into my freedom top. I removed the "big screws" and just went through a good rain without a single leak. I was tightening those things pretty damn tight. I think you may have helped solve my problems!!!

Quick Reply: Water inside the freedom top panels?