Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Well isn't that just dandy...

Old 10-27-2013, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well isn't that just dandy...

I posted last week in another thread that I too had just paid off my '08 Rubicon Unlimited. It felt great and I can't wait to get my title in my hands. Around the same time as my last payment, my oil light went off. Time for an oil change and my dealership had a deal for $17.95. Much cheaper than I could do myself. Well, I let it go for around a month and was planning on taking it in tomorrow. So, I check my level tonight and it was BONE DRY!!!!

Can you imagine, paying the Jeep off and blowing an engine if I'd gone a couple more days!

Well, it's never been an oil burner and I've read that some tend to be. I have around 69k miles on it.

Is it common for a non-oil burner to all of the sudden burn itself dry? I'm at a loss. Thoughts on what I can do to address this or is it something I just have to check often and manage?
Old 10-27-2013, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd guess it was drained, but none put back in. Happened to me once at a Ford dealer, took in for service and oil change. I noticed it a week later when it startd knocking...and they blamed me "you filled up with gas, and your owners manual clearly states to check oil at every fill up." I lost my mind.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sounds like a horror story. Exactly why I do everything myself regardless of the price. At least you know it's done right. Hope everything is fine with the engine and glad you checked it.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry wrong thread for my post

Last edited by rvator; 10-28-2013 at 02:42 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BillyJack
I posted last week in another thread that I too had just paid off my '08 Rubicon Unlimited. It felt great and I can't wait to get my title in my hands. Around the same time as my last payment, my oil light went off. Time for an oil change and my dealership had a deal for $17.95. Much cheaper than I could do myself. Well, I let it go for around a month and was planning on taking it in tomorrow. So, I check my level tonight and it was BONE DRY!!!! Can you imagine, paying the Jeep off and blowing an engine if I'd gone a couple more days! Well, it's never been an oil burner and I've read that some tend to be. I have around 69k miles on it. Is it common for a non-oil burner to all of the sudden burn itself dry? I'm at a loss. Thoughts on what I can do to address this or is it something I just have to check often and manage?
Did you recently switch to synthetic?
Mine would burn a quart every 700 miles if I used synthetic. It caught me WAY off guard! I was used to burning a quart every 3k.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:11 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Glad you found this out before anything serious. But, it does beg the question: If your dipstick is dry, does that mean the crankcase is empty? I always thought there was a mark at one quart low, and if the dipstick was dry, you were more than two quarts low. Maybe that thinking is wrong.

But, if correct, I'd be very interested in whether you had oil, and how much. Even a couple quarts low, you still have a lot of oil in the pan. The most risky thing you could do is get the Jeep on steep climbs/off camber situations where the oil pick-up would tilt out of the oil in the pan. Then you'd have a problem. But, just running on the streets and highways? You'd be going through oil faster maybe running a bit hotter oil temperature, but only minor risk to the motor itself. Or, is my thinking all wrong? Hoping one of the experts will chime in here.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the pentastar but check my oil every other fill-up. It has never lowered on the dip stick but I am paranoid with my Jeep. I rarely check it on my other cars though maybe I should.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:44 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

I'm surprised especially with the early JK using oil that most still don't check their oil levels.Hello the days of full service at fill ups are gone,that's the drivers job now
Old 10-28-2013, 06:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had a 3.8 and lived in a year round warm climate like Florida, I would be running 10w-30 oil. Especially if the motor was burning some oil.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

The oil light never comes on if there's little or no oil?

Quick Reply: Well isn't that just dandy...