Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What is Chrysler LLC Thinking?? Why dont they listen to the hard core end user?

Old 09-01-2011, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding the ECM - over on AEV's website, they stated they already had a solution to this, and they will update the programming on the procal this month to handle it. So essentially, if you can manage to wait a month to mod your new vehicle with updated gearing, you are golden.

Lots of people seem very upset over this issue, but the truth is, each time there is a refresh of a vehicle's design, it takes the aftermarket a little time to catch up and start delivering products that match the new design. Personally, I am happy that the Jeep is receiving the same kind of technological "updates" that other vehicles are receiving. There are obvious differences between today's Jeep and it's initial iterations...and I tend to like the bulk of those changes! Unfortunately, this does make the Jeep less "simple," and harder for the end user to work on - especially with regards to the engine.

I do think that it is unfortunate that issues like the door hinges still exist, and I always find it disappointing when a manufacturer doesn't stand behind their product when something breaks. I really understand where you are coming from there, and I think Jeep could learn a thing or two from your sandal manufacturer. In truth, though, this seems to be true of most auto manufacturers, and I am not convinced that Chrysler is alone in how they handle these things.

As it was previously said, if these problems make the Jeep ride not worth the price of admission, you are certainly able to vote with your wallet. I love the idea of grabbing an old jeep and modding it silly for your off road needs. As it turns out, it would be quite a bit cheaper to go this route, as opposed to buying a new Jeep and taking it to the same degree of modification. Personally, I would LOVE to have an old CJ as a dedicated trail rig, but a Jeep in that configuration would be the last thing I'd be happy about taking onto the highway to get to work every day.

Like the majority of Jeep owners, I use my Jeep for a lot more on road use than off, and I appreciate all the things that have been done with the Jeep over time to make it more enjoyable during my daily commute. And as it turns out, if you wait for the aftermarket to catch up a bit, you can make it just as capable off road as it's predecessors. I guess I want my Jeep to be just like your sandals - comfy no matter what environment I plan to use it in. And just like your sandals, the new Jeep is plenty capable of going anywhere you want it to take you.

Last edited by totdoc; 09-01-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

part of the difference is sandal were probably made in china for around a $1 and sold for a hundred replacement is just 1/10000 of a days production a new jeep is 1/650 of a day production and has 1000,s of parts a little harder to control quality however it should be made right when a issue arises
but total replacement in most cases would be an unreasonable expectation
Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
One word: Daimler. They ruined Chrysler. Buy a 2011 or later and you'll get a different vehicle.
Ummmm. Hes talking about the 12, so it didnt get better.... Unless you like your jeep goin the way of cardom.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tncruiser
part of the difference is sandal were probably made in china for around a $1 and sold for a hundred replacement is just 1/10000 of a days production a new jeep is 1/650 of a day production and has 1000,s of parts a little harder to control quality however it should be made right when a issue arises
but total replacement in most cases would be an unreasonable expectation
To make it worse, an American made JK cost's about $6.50 a pound. Knock-off Chinese sandals cost about $20 a pound. And we wonder why the Chinese have all the money.....
Old 09-01-2011, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by totdoc

Personally, I would LOVE to have an old CJ as a dedicated trail rig, but a Jeep in that configuration would be the last thing I'd be happy about taking onto the highway to get to work every day.
Which is why I bought a JK. But caution made me keep my DD Explorer and old CJ5, in case I have to reverse that decision. I WANT the JK to live up. Like most Jeep owners, I don't have unreasonable expectations. I wish Ford had bought Jeep. Ford actually built some war-time jeeps, and would have the provenance to pull it off gracefully. With Ford's quality, distribution, service team and know-how, the next JK would be explosively successful.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jhol111964
Which is why I bought a JK. But caution made me keep my DD Explorer and old CJ5, in case I have to reverse that decision. I WANT the JK to live up. Like most Jeep owners, I don't have unreasonable expectations. I wish Ford had bought Jeep. Ford actually built some war-time jeeps, and would have the provenance to pull it off gracefully. With Ford's quality, distribution, service team and know-how, the next JK would be explosively successful.
I don't know about that. We probably would have got a jeep exploder with IFS...
Old 09-01-2011, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anway, I think the answer is that we don't get hardcore 4x4s because the hardcore end user isn't a profitable demographic here in America. We don't have an Amazon Jungle or Kalahari Desert or Simpson Desert to deal with, and there are several other makes with specialty vehicles that have a rabid following in those places already (Defender, LC70, G-wagon, ect) and already have the market cornered.

Jeep took a different direction.... in a more sporty, fun in the sun, look cool in your oakleys and REI duds as you driver around town with the top down kinda way. In other words, Jeeps are ulitmately marketed and made as a lifestyle accessory instead of a tool.

Luckily, lots of engineering and hardware left over from when Jeeps were tools has made to the present day, so jeeps aren't totally hopeless. I guess part of the fun is replacing the inferior stuff, but I wish they came from the factory like a LC70

Last edited by Chango; 09-01-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noxian

Yes but so did the paint on my 04 TJ, Just paint them up with rock guard.
I plan on removing the hinges and powdercoating them satin black when i have my wheels done next spring. While the jeep is apart doing the im going to install my lift kit and my 35" tires and bed line my fender flares and steps. So the hinge thing wont be too big of a deal but it still sucks that the problem has been around for this many years
Old 09-01-2011, 03:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jkblu32586
I plan on removing the hinges and powdercoating them satin black when i have my wheels done next spring. While the jeep is apart doing the im going to install my lift kit and my 35" tires and bed line my fender flares and steps. So the hinge thing wont be too big of a deal but it still sucks that the problem has been around for this many years
The will still rust even with powder-coat. The problem is that there is a steel hinge pin holding the two aluminum hinges together. Dissimilar metals corrosion will occur under the paint and powder-coat.

Last edited by porters; 09-02-2011 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Fixed Typo
Old 09-01-2011, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by porters

The will still rust even with powder-coat. The problem is that there is a steel hinge pin holding the two aluminum changes together. Dissimilar metals corrosion will occur under the paint and powder-coat.
Thats true. I should have thought about the dis similiar metals thing seeing as how i work with metal everyday. There has to be a way to fix that problem.

Quick Reply: What is Chrysler LLC Thinking?? Why dont they listen to the hard core end user?