JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   what to do? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/what-do-63718/)

jakesredrock 12-03-2008 06:03 PM

what to do?

I am wanting to put a 3'' or 4'' lift on my jk, but i dont have the tools, shop or know how.. the closest "off road shop" wants to charge me rediculus labor charges for what i understand to be a fairly easy 4 or 5 hour job..
What should i do?

Robar 12-03-2008 06:08 PM

Find some friends or a local 4x4 club that know how to wrench and could help.

07armygreen 12-03-2008 06:08 PM

Well...you will need tools

Leonard Massi 12-03-2008 06:09 PM

I would be looking for new friends in my area if I were you. It's really not that hard of course I watched my friend on one side and then he helped me with the other. Maybe the company you
re buying from can help you find an installer.

jakesredrock 12-03-2008 06:12 PM

are some easier than others? i was loking at tereflex or zone maybe

TommyG 12-03-2008 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by jakesredrock (Post 819203)
but i dont have the tools, shop or know how.. the closest "off road shop" wants to charge me rediculus labor charges for what i understand to be a fairly easy 4 or 5 hour job..
What should i do?

If you don't have the tools, shop or know how to do your lift, how do you know it is a "fairly easy 4 or 5 hour job"? And what makes it a rediculous price? Not to sound like an a$$hole but I have a commercial architecture company and construction company and it drives me nuts when people tell me how long my job should take and/ or how much they should be paying.
Client: "Why are you charging $100.00+ per electrical outlet when I could go to Home Depot and buy it for $5.00"?
Me: "Does that outlet come with the wiring and electrician and insurance and permits?"
Client: "ahhh - no umm but..."
Me: "Ok then..."

jakesredrock 12-03-2008 06:28 PM

i had read on this site and others that, that is what it "should take". i just feel like i was getting price gouged. the lift was like 650..then installed and everything was 1850 total... 1200 dollars worth of labor...

TommyG 12-03-2008 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by jakesredrock (Post 819297)
i had read on this site and others that, that is what it "should take". i just feel like i was getting price gouged. the lift was like 650..then installed and everything was 1850 total... 1200 dollars worth of labor...

I honestly dont know what labor should cost but I know when I was looking to do a lift I was going with a BDS 4.5" and 35's with 17" rims. I got a price of $7500+/-. I didn't do it because: 1 - I didn't have that much cash; 2 - I was and still am considering TeraFlex; 3 - I am waiting until I get the extra $$$ so I could have it done right and not "cheap".

JKJosh 12-03-2008 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by jakesredrock (Post 819203)
I am wanting to put a 3'' or 4'' lift on my jk, but i dont have the tools, shop or know how.. the closest "off road shop" wants to charge me rediculus labor charges for what i understand to be a fairly easy 4 or 5 hour job..
What should i do?

I have the Zone and really like it. Buy it and drive to Delaware, I'll put it on for you.

jakesredrock 12-03-2008 07:37 PM

guess it would be about the same price as payin
for the labor, and I would get a good road trip out of it too.
you get the 3 or 4"? Put it on yourself? Was it difficult?