Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Plenty of JK power?

Old 10-31-2009, 12:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plenty of JK power?

Everyone complains about the lack of power in their JK, and that a hemi or supercharger is the only solution.
This isnt that thread.

I realized I have no problem taking off from a standstill, zipping in and out of traffic, cruising the highway @ 80mph, or having fun offroad.

I experience a little lag when towing, or on very steep hills...which Im pretty sure a simple regear would remedy.

Other than that, Im fine with what my JK is producing.

Am I the only one?
Old 10-31-2009, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

You might be.
I gave up sports cars for me JK, I am used to 330hp in a 2800lb car.
I feel the power is adaquite, but I always want more. That said it has a shit ton more power than my 97 4cil Ranger.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sufficient power can be subjective, but I think you will find enough complaints about the anemia of the 3.8L and posts regarding PCM programmers, owners trying to get
more power by "regearing" (wrong approach IMO) and owners converting to Hemis that arguably the majority consensus is that the power of the JK is not plentiful enough.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:52 PM
JK Junkie

With my 6 speed and 4.1 ratio, I'm very satisfied of the power, especialy off-road.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find for me at least, most of the appeal of a hemi or a diesel swap in the JK is that it makes for a very unique Jeep. Anyone can bolt on basic parts (exhaust, intake, etc) for more power or fuel efficiency. But there are maybe only a couple hundred JKs with either a hemi or that can spool up the turbo and leave a cloud of black smoke while getting 30 mpg in the U.S.

As for me I am currently more than happy with my 3.8. But if I ever run into any engine issues (need a replacement or need to do extensive internal repairs) I would just say screw it and spend a bit extra money to do some kind of unique engine swap.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:01 PM
JK Freak

I think you may be alone....or at least in the minority. In all honesty, if i lived at sea level and didn't climb 30 degree grades above 12,000 feet I wouldn't complain as much (although I would still say it is way underpowered).

What confuses me is that DC has so many other GOOD powerplants that could have used and they chose this crappy minivan 3.8 V6?? They should have put the 4.7 V8 as base, and the 5.7L Hemi as the Rubicon/Sahara editions with a cheap option with the 3.8L..

I blame all the stupid rules and regulations regarding fuel milage and emissions output ect...All the Green Wheenies have destroyed the automobile industry. Just my opinion!

So to answer you question, I am planning a Hemi in the VERY near future to correct what DC screwed up. If they did it right then why are there SO many companies out there making kits to slap in the hemi, and so many people willing to spend the $$ to put the hemi kits in?
Old 10-31-2009, 01:02 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ElyasWolff
I gave up sports cars for me JK, I am used to 330hp in a 2800lb car.
i can understand that, but I am taking into consideration that my Jeep is not a sportscar, and isnt supposed to be.

After selling a Harley that would drop me off of the rear if I wasnt holding on tightly, it was a noticable difference in the new Jeep. But considering its a fun and rugged daily driver that gets decent mileage, I think its fine.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

i feel that the 3.8 is underpowered, but i didnt buy the jeep to beat anyone in a race. in fact i bought the jeep knowing that its was underpowered and that i was sacraficing go up a steep mountian at 80 mph. and i knew it was going to be worse when i put 35's on it.

im not saying that i wouldnt take a hemi, if i ever hit the lotto id be dammed if one dosent find its way in the jeep. but i am saying that mabey people complain about it to much, i mean we all test drove it before we bought it.

also i know i dont wheel as hard as a lot of guys/gals on here do but ive never been in 4lo saying i wish i had more power.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash
i can understand that, but I am taking into consideration that my Jeep is not a sportscar, and isnt supposed to be.

After selling a Harley that would drop me off of the rear if I wasnt holding on tightly, it was a noticable difference in the new Jeep. But considering its a fun and rugged daily driver that gets decent mileage, I think its fine.
x2, i had a ninja before the jeep, that was fast, the jeep is the opposite. but the bike was made to go fast and the jeep was made to offroad.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:25 PM
JK Jedi

I could use a little more under the hood, but I suspect the combo of gears, Superchips and exhaust will make me happier. I'm just running bone stock now and when I tow my quads or head into the hills, she really struggles. The kid in me would also like to be able to break the tires loose now and again.

Quick Reply: Plenty of JK power?