Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What is the "Enviromental" charge???

Old 03-04-2007, 04:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the "Enviromental" charge???

In my introduction post, I stated that I'm still in the looking or tire kicking stages. I am going to purchase a Rubicon this summer, maybe fall. That said, I was at one of our local Jeep dealers the other day. After shooing away the salesman, I noticed that there was a additional price sticker to the side of the factory MSRP sticker. The only charge listed on the additional sticked was an "enviromental charge" of $1995.00. What in the world could that be? I'm thinking that it is a markup, what do you think?

Thanks,
Old 03-04-2007, 04:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, that's a markup. Some unscrupulous dealers will put a coat of wax on a vehicle and call it an environmental protection packace, because it protects the paint from the "environment." Don't pay more than invoice.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by volzfan59
In my introduction post, I stated that I'm still in the looking or tire kicking stages. I am going to purchase a Rubicon this summer, maybe fall. That said, I was at one of our local Jeep dealers the other day. After shooing away the salesman, I noticed that there was a additional price sticker to the side of the factory MSRP sticker. The only charge listed on the additional sticked was an "enviromental charge" of $1995.00. What in the world could that be? I'm thinking that it is a markup, what do you think?

Thanks,
I see your in Tennessee maybe that will go to AL gore?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply Renegade, that's what I thought. I'll not be paying the enviromental charge. There more than one Jeep dealer around here. Heck, I plan on haggling the MSRP.

tolh13, I hope Al Gore doesn't get the money . I'd go to Alabama or Kentucky and buy if that were the case.

Al Gore is an embarrassment to this state.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:04 PM
JK Junkie

Since you are in the Knoxville area, I would look up a dealer in Elizabethton for a better deal. I don't remember their name, but I talked with them over the phone about a Rubicon before I bought my X. They came off MSRP @ $1500. If you don't mind driving about 1 1/2 hrs, Steve White Motors in Hickory, NC will sell you anything on their lot for just below invoice. That's where I ended up buying. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:54 PM
JK Newbie

Hey Renegade, With you buying out of state, what did you do about TN taxes? I don't mind driving to Hickory one bit. I was just wondering how you handle the taxes and registration when you purchase out of state. I may call both dealers that you mentioned.

Thanks a ton,
Steve

What part of TN are you in?
Old 03-08-2007, 04:00 AM
JK Junkie

Steve White Motors will charge a "Highway Use Tax," which they will refund entirely back to you in a check which is made out to "County Clerk." You will take this check to the Tag & Title office with the MSO to register and title your vehicle. There will probably be a little more that you have to pay for the title, but not much. If you call them, ask for Rex Humphrey and tell him that you were referred by someone on this forum. The Elizabethton Dealership is in TN, so they will register it for you. I am in Chattanooga.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:13 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by volzfan59

Al Gore is an embarrassment to this state.

Try being stuck with HillarythecarpetbaggingbeyotchClinton.

Quick Reply: What is the "Enviromental" charge???