Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What has happened to our community?

Old 02-12-2014, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What has happened to our community?

What has happened to our community? I remember when I bought my first Jeep ('81 CJ-7) and every where I went, as I approached another Jeep, I was always greeted with a friendly wave. And I always waved back. It was just one of those things between owners to let you know that you were part of something and not alone. Well, life happened and along came a wife and kids and the Jeep wasn't practical, so away it went. But the thought of that super fun vehicle and that wave never left me. (I still waved, just not as many were returned.)

Now, here I am a couple of decades later, and the kids are grown, the "wife" (not wanting to be vulgar) is gone, and I have finally got another Jeep. I came across this Website and asked a few "dumb" questions; which were answered by some very friendly folks who didn't seem to mind my ignorance. And a whole bunch of "welcome back" greetings. (I thank you all for that.) And once again I felt I was part of a very friendly community.

However, as I began my wave again, I have noticed that only a couple of times have I received a return wave. (I even wave to the Cherokees and Libertys) Have we lost that friendliness? Has the world we live in gotten us so skeptical and leery of each other that we can't return a greeting to a fellow owner? Come on folks it isn't a commitment to your fortune or inheritance; it's just a greeting to some who shares the same enthusiasm for this unique and still extremely fun vehicle.

I'll still keep waving, but I hope that soon I'll get more return waves.

Thanks for listening.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issue is that with the addition of the JK Unlimited in 07 was also the addition of the soccer mom that thought it was cool to cart the kids around and go grocery shopping in her stock sahara and has no idea about anything jeep or waving back(probably thinking that creepy guys keep waving at them) def no point to wave at non wranglers caz you'll prob never get a wave back there. I always wave at wranglers but I do find that stock 4 doors(especially with woman driving(sorry not trying to offend anyone) there is a slim chance of a wave back. Keep up the enthusiasm and don't feel bad about getting ignored by the ones that proboly call their jeep a car. The jeep community is still alive and well theres just way more "Jeeps" on the road now with people that don't know or care about the hobby or community part that we all greatly enjoy.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by USMC20yrs
What has happened to our community? I remember when I bought my first Jeep ('81 CJ-7) and every where I went, as I approached another Jeep, I was always greeted with a friendly wave. And I always waved back. It was just one of those things between owners to let you know that you were part of something and not alone. Well, life happened and along came a wife and kids and the Jeep wasn't practical, so away it went. But the thought of that super fun vehicle and that wave never left me. (I still waved, just not as many were returned.)

Now, here I am a couple of decades later, and the kids are grown, the "wife" (not wanting to be vulgar) is gone, and I have finally got another Jeep. I came across this Website and asked a few "dumb" questions; which were answered by some very friendly folks who didn't seem to mind my ignorance. And a whole bunch of "welcome back" greetings. (I thank you all for that.) And once again I felt I was part of a very friendly community.

However, as I began my wave again, I have noticed that only a couple of times have I received a return wave. (I even wave to the Cherokees and Libertys) Have we lost that friendliness? Has the world we live in gotten us so skeptical and leery of each other that we can't return a greeting to a fellow owner? Come on folks it isn't a commitment to your fortune or inheritance; it's just a greeting to some who shares the same enthusiasm for this unique and still extremely fun vehicle.

I'll still keep waving, but I hope that soon I'll get more return waves.

Thanks for listening.

Yeah, I was thinking about that this morning......i waved to about 4 or 5 Jeeps.....didn't get a wave from anyone. I think part of it is most people are staring at their phone/iPod/iPad/GPS/nav/netflix machine/etc......to notice anything let alone a stranger waving.....

To me it seems like no one even sees me.......

Well welcome back to the Jeepness. I'll continue to wave.....I will get one now and then.

Really sad thing is last time i was in Moab out of the dozen or so Jeeps i saw over a short weekend i don't think i even got one wave....

Catch you on the road!!!!

I'll be waving.....
Old 02-12-2014, 12:57 PM
JK Freak

I only get waves back from modified and lifted jeeps. My wife drives a grand Cherokee and she waves and she still gets waves from modified jeeps.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think aside from the wave, which seems to be lost on even some of the enthusiast Jeepers, I agree with what was stated above about the Wrangler and Jeeps in general. The brand appeals to such a wide audience, that the small community feeling of Jeeping is mostly lost on public highways. Every now and then it's nice to see a reaffirmation that some else "gets it" and returns the wave, but mostly I see blank faces in passing, just people driving an appliance to get them where they need to be.

The original Jeep community is there, but with hundreds of thousands of units sold each year, it's buried in an increasing sea of people who treat their vehicle as an appliance.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think life has a lot to do with it. Minds are stressed beyond belief these days. Yeah we're part of something cool, great and grand but the toll of bills, life's unexpected bumps and anything else...we just forget as our minds are trying to figure things out. Cause it happens to me
Old 02-12-2014, 01:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I only wave to Wrangler/CJ/Wrangler-type Jeeps and only modded 4 door JKs now. 90% of the stock 4 door JKs I pass are women, and they almost never wave back, so I just gave up on that crowd. It's almost a guarantee from all the older model Jeeps that I'll get a wave back, especially if they're lifted. Anyways, there are still some friendly Jeepers out there, so keep on waving, but you might have to pick and choose who you wave to if you're expecting your gesture to be returned.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:16 PM
JK Freak

I have a JKU but I still wave to every wrangler I see. I love the community and was more than excited to get back in it. I don't get near as many back as I once use to but I still wave. Hell the other day I was changing the radio as one went by I actually got pissed at myself for not getting the wave up in time to return the one that was sent my way... I saw him the next day and started my wave from as far away as I could to prove I wasn't snubbing him the day before. He did wave back!
Just keep waving and know the ones you get in return are still the guys that remember the old days. Even if we are in NEW jeeps!
Old 02-12-2014, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Exclamation

This is probably dumb, but what if we petition Jeep to make/create/promote the more common "Jeep-isms" every time the dealerships sell a new Wrangler? The "Jeep Code" if you will, "Jeep Commandments"...

1. Thou Shall Wave to Other Jeep Wranglers
2. Thou Shall not Wave to Hummers
3. Etc...

Old 02-12-2014, 03:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AlexjeepVb
The issue is that with the addition of the JK Unlimited in 07 was also the addition of the soccer mom that thought it was cool to cart the kids around and go grocery shopping in her stock sahara and has no idea about anything jeep or waving back(probably thinking that creepy guys keep waving at them) def no point to wave at non wranglers caz you'll prob never get a wave back there. I always wave at wranglers but I do find that stock 4 doors(especially with woman driving(sorry not trying to offend anyone) there is a slim chance of a wave back. Keep up the enthusiasm and don't feel bad about getting ignored by the ones that proboly call their jeep a car. The jeep community is still alive and well theres just way more "Jeeps" on the road now with people that don't know or care about the hobby or community part that we all greatly enjoy.
I love when hear that , I can't tell you how many women drives TJs and they don't wave either

But to say the 4dr and women is the problem that's in your head and its hard to tell a 2dr from a 4dr when you are coming head on
Originally Posted by MrChuckles
I only wave to Wrangler/CJ/Wrangler-type Jeeps and only modded 4 door JKs now. 90% of the stock 4 door JKs I pass are women, and they almost never wave back, so I just gave up on that crowd. It's almost a guarantee from all the older model Jeeps that I'll get a wave back, especially if they're lifted. Anyways, there are still some friendly Jeepers out there, so keep on waving, but you might have to pick and choose who you wave to if you're expecting your gesture to be returned.
This comment right here is part of the problem either you wave to all wranglers or don't wave at all , both of you are passing judgement on someone with out even knowing them , they probably thought you was a dick because you didnt wave

I wave at every wrangler I pass but I don't look at them to see if they wave back

Quick Reply: What has happened to our community?