Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What has happened to our community?

Old 02-12-2014, 04:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wave all the time... get a lot of waves back!! Heck, I catch myself waving when I'm in my wife's car... , once a guy actually waved back... I think he felt sorry for me or hopefully guessed I'm a Jeep owner...
Old 02-12-2014, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't wave but I do wave back if waved at. Seems a little silly though to be miffed when someone doesn't wave at you. I would help a fellow Jeeper in need or anyone else for that matter and do give thumbs up to cool older Jeeps I see on occasion. Take it for what its worth.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never said that 4 Doors where the problem, I will still wave at everyone I see, I was saying that the 4 door introduced a whole new group of buyers that just use their jeep as a car and don't care or know about the jeep community or waving at other jeeps.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

I wave all the time and lately it's been slim Pickens on return waves. People are preoccupied. First timers never got educated on the wave. In addition, the newer JK has made the jeep less bare bones inside and almost luxurious which appeals to people that will never go off-road. I've had a CJ, a 2008 jk base x, and now a 2014 JKUR. The new model is very comfortable.

The only time I complain is when I pass the same modified jeeps (hard core jeepers) everyday on the way to work and never get a wave. They know better!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2014, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

I get confused when I am driving another vehicle. I'll still wave at Jeeps and they must think I'm crazy. Last time I had the JK in the shop they gave me an old junker Dodge Minivan and I waved to a JK. He looked at me kind of funny and then I realized I wasn't in my Jeep. How embarrassing.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I still get lots of waves, but as a whole, people aren't as friendly as they used to be. As a society everyone has become busier, and sadly we are moving away from simpler times.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

WOW!! I did not expect such a response to my comments. Thank you all for your comments. And I hope to see more. Keep them coming.

I agree with a lot of the comments about the different new comers to the Jeep Wrangler. But I don't think it is the problem in of itself. I think the person who brought up the "Jeep Commandments" is on track with the solution. All of us who remember the wave need to educate the newcomers about this tradition and it's heritage. Which is part of why I started this thread; not to down play anyone, but to bring this issue to the forefront.

I will keep waving and when the opportunity is there, educate those who just don't know. So please pass the knowledge and tradition along. After all, isn't that who we are and what we do?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Val 2.0
This is probably dumb, but what if we petition Jeep to make/create/promote the more common "Jeep-isms" every time the dealerships sell a new Wrangler? The "Jeep Code" if you will, "Jeep Commandments"... 1. Thou Shall Wave to Other Jeep Wranglers 2. Thou Shall not Wave to Hummers 3. Etc...
I sell Jeeps for a living. Whenever I sell a JK I talk to the new owner about the wave. If they are interested in mods I'll even tell them about JK forum and how helpful all you people are! In fact the first JK I ever sold, I ended up becoming friends with the guy and he is the one who turned me on to the forum. I always wave and do get many in return. Maybe I still live in a place that has that small town charm. As far as the soccer moms go, I understand that they probably don't know/don't care but the best way to educate them is to wave! If they see it enough maybe they will start to get it.
Keep waving!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

I live in Arkansas and got my first wrangler last year(had an 04 liberty before) I have a 4 door jk now and I always wave but I only get a wave back about 1 an 20. There are just to many mall crawlers now a days
Old 02-12-2014, 08:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everybody keep waving. Don't get mad if they don't wave back, maybe they missed it but waved too late. I'm guilty of the late wave due to zoning out, and it makes me feel bad. When the new Jeep comes out, wave to them too. There seems to be a "my jeep is better than yours" with new model releases. And that's sad.

Quick Reply: What has happened to our community?