Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What have I done?

Old 01-06-2011, 03:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What have I done?

I'm a complete nOOb, go easy on me.

Picked up an 08 JK 4x4 (unlimited x - 4 door trail something??) . Guy at work bought a new 2 door a couple years ago, nothing but problems, got rid if it. This one has 10K mi, seems tight, no odd tire wear, ele windows, locks, soft top (not real happy about the security of that one), winch, guessing it was towed behind a class a or something w/that kind of mileage and shape (like new). I tend to keep cars a very long time, hope this wasn't a mistake. Now for a couple questions......

I know this is a brick, I've managed to get nearly 20mpg so far w/slightly overinflated tires. I step on the gas from time to time, just to see if it'll go and well, it does sorta but at about 4K it sounds like I'm ripping it's wallies off. Is this normal or has it been babied and don't know how to wrap some R's?

About that mileage.... Even with that slippery body style, 20 seems a bit low. Would a little modification or 2, keeping it at 55 or 60 do better than 20mpg or should I just get used to it? Guess my 100MPG go anywhere enduro has me a bit spoiled. Would water injection or something help??? Are these things chocked out in the emissions dept, run lean like everything else (dumb question, I'm sure, which means it's mileage is only gonna get worse if one "fixes" it). I'd like to see slow and some decent mileage or go fast w/crappy mileage, not slow AND crappy mileage.

Always wanted one, kinda expensive and there's nowhere around to go off roading. Perhaps I should have seen a shrink first. I hear they're cold in the winter, hot in the summer, wet in the rain, noisy, rough, get broke into all the time, you either love 'em or hate 'em.

Short of a hard top (which is an expensive stretch) I'm just not sure at this point if I'll spend much on this thing, guess time will tell.

What will boost my morale, drive over a VW, get stuck somewhere and winch my way out, whatcha got?

Are pics mandatory around here?
Old 01-06-2011, 03:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03fatboy
Welcome. We all start off as noobs.

About that mileage.... Even with that slippery body style, 20 seems a bit low. Would a little modification or 2, keeping it at 55 or 60 do better than 20mpg or should I just get used to it?
Get used to it. The stock milage for a Jeep is 19 City 20 something highway. Completely stock I could get 23 if I did the speed limit. (50 minutes of my hour commute is all highway driving). Also keep in mind winter gas is out so that also lower the milage you are getting.

Always wanted one, kinda expensive and there's nowhere around to go off roading. Perhaps I should have seen a shrink first. I hear they're cold in the winter, hot in the summer, wet in the rain, noisy, rough, get broke into all the time, you either love 'em or hate 'em. .
True. Convertable in the summer and 4x4 in the winter. I love mine! The heat is strait from hell so even with a soft top it "Should" still keep you warm.

What will boost my morale, drive over a VW, get stuck somewhere and winch my way out, whatcha got? .
Start working on it and getting familar with it and have fun
Old 01-06-2011, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Welcome to the club!

If you've wanted one for a while, forget the "guy at work who always had problems with his Jeep". Some people will bitch about anything, let them drive their Corrollas. I've had mine for a while and love it, wouldn't have it any other way. Plenty of guys here have had several Jeeps...it's a lifestyle.

20 MPG is pretty good. As for the weather, mine is the opposite you describe. Mine is hot in the winter (nuclear heater), dry in the rain (soft or hard top), quiet (had to install new exhaust to hear it), and in the summer its PERFECT. Top down, doors off, radio up = everyone in traffic jealous, other Jeep owners waving.

Like I said, I would not have it any other way.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

... I hear they're cold in the winter, hot in the summer, wet in the rain, noisy, rough, get broke into all the time, you either love 'em or hate 'em. ...
The newer Jeeps are better than the older models for heat/air. Keep a set of rain gear handy for when you're caught in a downpour without your top/doors. Ear plugs are handy sometimes, but most times the noise really isn't that bad, just turn up the radio (worst is on Interstates with no doors--that's when you may want those ear plugs). Security: Don't lock your Jeep and don't keep stuff in it that would hurt if stolen. If you want a hard top, check the For Sale forum on this board. Plenty are sold because new owners get dual tops and want only one or the other. And they're pretty cheap (compared to new). Do some mod's. And put up what city you're in and participate in the Texas Staging Area forum so you can learn what runs are happening. And, yes, pictures are necessary because they show how much fun you should be having with your Jeep ...

Oklahoma ...

Arizona ...

Utah ...

Just this past Sunday in Oklahoma City (how far are you from there?) ...

BOTTOM LINE: HAVE FUN; GET OUT THERE!

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-06-2011 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:14 AM
JK Freak

Nice pics. Looks like you had fun.
Enjoy the new jeep.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Gas mileage sucks. Engine and trans combo sucks for power. Factory gears sucks. But I can go anywhere I want to with my crappy mpgs undergeared lack of power jeep. And I wouldn't have it any other way. Let's see a prius do that.
go out and wheel the crap out if it. Then you'll forget about the rest.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think you did exactly what you should have! If you have always wanted one I think you will find it the perfect ride. You will quickly find if you love it or hate it. If you like luxury you made a mistake. But, if riding around with the wind in your face and the outdoors surrounding you, you will be a Jeep guy for life! There just isn't another vehicle that will put a smile on your face like your new JK. A simple test, if when you get home or to work and just have to turn around and look back just once more before you go in, and then grin like a little kid, you are hooked. I still do it after having ours for nearly a year, and it is completely stock (for the moment)! Granted this is our 3rd Jeep.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

WOW, IM inspired.......think i will go vacuum the rig right now.....give her a little rubdown.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

im lucky to get 18-20 going down hill with my jeep
Old 01-06-2011, 11:31 AM
JK Freak

Noway

I step on the gas from time to time, just to see if it'll go and well, it does sorta but at about 4K it sounds like I'm ripping it's wallies off. Is this normal or has it been babied and don't know how to wrap some R's?
It's a Jeep!

About that mileage.... Even with that slippery body style, 20 seems a bit low. I'd like to see slow and some decent mileage or go fast w/crappy mileage, not slow AND crappy mileage.
It's a Jeep!

Always wanted one, kinda expensive. I hear they're cold in the winter, hot in the summer, wet in the rain, noisy, rough, get broke into all the time.
This is the reason I love Jeeps. You should try some soft doors. They get crazy! I also always lock my keys in the Jeep, so I just unzip the window and let myself in

And O'yeah, It's a Jeep!

What will boost my morale, drive over a VW, get stuck somewhere and winch my way out, whatcha got?
That may help. I believe it's like being in a coma. After you just spent all that money on a little Jeep you just get put in a daze. Go scatch it up and jump a sand dune. Get stuck or run out of gas on the Highway. Go buy some parts you have no idea of how to install.
When you do these things, there will always be another Jeeper ready to help you out. Then you'll look back and say to yourself, "Damn I love my Jeep"
Thats the best I have for ya. It's a Jeep thing right?

Perhaps I should have seen a shrink first.
Yes you should, we all should

Goodluck and welcome!

Quick Reply: What have I done?