Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What's the best brand soft top?

Old 12-27-2014, 09:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What's the best brand soft top?

I go through them almost annually.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My opinion would be Bestop. How do you manage to "go through" a soft top in a year??
Old 12-28-2014, 02:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Trektop and love it. Also wondering how you go through them so quickly, mine looks practically brand new
Old 12-30-2014, 04:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OH9JK
My opinion would be Bestop. How do you manage to "go through" a soft top in a year??
No kidding...
Old 12-30-2014, 03:53 PM
JK Super Freak

I take mine up and down constantly. A few times a day at times. Always looking for them used on CL because they don't last. Zippers break, the hinges snap, the plastic attachment pieces is the back crack off, etc. For example these days in the Bay Area it'll be chilly in the morning so the top's up, perfect around noon so it's down, then chilly in the evening so it goes back up. Do it this often and things break easily. If you look closely at the OEM tops you'll see they're super flimsy.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:33 AM
JK Junkie

Do you keep the zippers clean and lubricated? The hinges and tailgate attachment brackets can certainly be replaced as service parts without replacing an entire top.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:15 AM
JK Super Freak

No but those aren't the biggest problems. The cross bars rip from the threads and crack at the joints, those two straps come apart, the plastic on the sides that tuck in above the door crack off, etc. The OEM one is just poorly made like everything else on a Jeep. When it's cold, especially, you really have to stress it to get it on and after a while things break.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:48 AM
JK Junkie

If you are having that much trouble with the frame and hardware you may want to consider a frameless top like the TrekTop NX from Bestop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiHjRyVdtqU

Old 01-01-2015, 03:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bestop makes the mopar tops and bestop is as good as you're going to get. I wouldn't expect any improvement by switching from a mopar top to a bestop since they're really the same. The frameless could be an option which was already mentioned. I take mine up and down a lot and it has lasted just fine.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Is anyone familiar with the rampage frameless top?

The problem with the Trektop is that they keep mentioning the importance of temperature. Part of what wears down my tops is that I often put it up or take it down when it is cold enough to make the process more difficult, requiring me to stress the top. That's probably why my tops break so easily. The hardware is super flimsy. And once you break something on the soft top, it causes the other stress points to wear out faster. Ideally, the top would be the same design but with a much stronger frame but apparently it doesn't exist.

Quick Reply: What's the best brand soft top?