JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   wheel spacers (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/wheel-spacers-324234/)

jperry1194 07-20-2015 11:52 AM

wheel spacers

anyone have experience with wheel spacers? good or bad just trying to get some input. im interested in investing in some

tribulation138 07-20-2015 12:26 PM

Invest in the proper rims. I never felt comfortable with spacers. And most tire shops wont even touch a tire that has a spacer or adapter.

I think i spent 300$ on 5 rims.

kbp810 07-20-2015 12:28 PM

Depends on why you want them - a proper offset wheel might be a better option, and can be found in a steel wheel for about the same cost as quality spacers.

Else, there is nothing wrong with a quality set of properly installed and maintained spacers. When installed and maintained correctly, they are no different than the equivalently backspaced wheel. I said installed and maintained twice (three times now!), as that is a key message... if not installed correctly, they are an added potential failure point with potentially very serious consequences (hence why I initially stated that a proper wheel might be a better option).

TJinaJKU 07-20-2015 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by kbp810 (Post 4124272)
Depends on why you want them - a proper offset wheel might be a better option, and can be found in a steel wheel for about the same cost as quality spacers.

Else, there is nothing wrong with a quality set of properly installed and maintained spacers. When installed and maintained correctly, they are no different than the equivalently backspaced wheel. I said installed and maintained twice (three times now!), as that is a key message... if not installed correctly, they are an added potential failure point with potentially very serious consequences (hence why I initially stated that a proper wheel might be a better option).

^ from what I have researched, this is my belief now. Personally, I am probably buying spacers and running factory rims for a little while. While I save up for the Rims I want, rather than putting cheap rims on my 40k jeep. Enough people are running the spacer/adaptors without any problems that I feel safe, knowing that I will NOT ALLOW anyone else to install them or my rims as they need to be properly torqued, and then that torque needs maintained and watched. :beer:

Tooadvanced 07-20-2015 01:54 PM

Just make sure who ever is doing your tire install we do work on a vehicle with them. 3 out of 4 places here will not. They will mount tires on rims but not install or uninstall them. Discount will but they will not install spacers or check the nuts. Liability point for them

Cutman 07-27-2015 11:21 AM

Just debunked a myth that Discount Tire won't touch a vehicle with them. They said they will as long as they bolt on.

tribulation138 07-27-2015 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cutman (Post 4127245)
Just debunked a myth that Discount Tire won't touch a vehicle with them. They said they will as long as they bolt on.

Umm. Of coarse they bolt on.

Cutman 07-27-2015 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by tribulation138 (Post 4127275)

Umm. Of coarse they bolt on.

As opposed to the thin ones some just insert over their current lugs. Point being, they won't turn away prople running spacers. I've seen this mentioned several times.

tribulation138 07-27-2015 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cutman (Post 4127277)

As opposed to the thin ones some just insert over their current lugs. Point being, they won't turn away prople running spacers. I've seen this mentioned several times.

Ya they will turn away people. 2 places in CT, Town fair tire centers. They have a policy.

Pep boys will do it though.

BAJA TYM 07-27-2015 05:49 PM

Spacers are freaking dangerous, wheel adapters are just fine. Adapters bolt directly to the axels and have lugs of their own. They either change the lug pattern or give the wheels a wider stance.

I think it's odd that people call adapters spacers, just as odd when people call wheels rims. Must be regional, like coke, soda, and pop. As a So Cal dude, never heard them called spacers or rims until I moved to the south... Maybe I was sheltered.

Just my disposable option.

:cheers: