Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

when you can't decide on tires..

Old 01-20-2015, 08:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when you can't decide on tires..

what do you exactly do when you have a list 8 tires and you can't decide which one you want?
- little offroading but I am looking for an aggressive looking tire.
- 4-5 months of snow/icy conditions. And there is a reason I wrote duratracs at the end. They are the most expensive of all...

Cooper Discoverer AT3
Cooper STT
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2
Firestone Destination MT
General Grabber AT2
BFgoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
Fierce Attitude MT

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
Old 01-20-2015, 09:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by amir2
what do you exactly do when you have a list 8 tires and you can't decide which one you want?
- little offroading but I am looking for an aggressive looking tire.
- 4-5 months of snow/icy conditions. And there is a reason I wrote duratracs at the end. They are the most expensive of all...

Cooper Discoverer AT3
Cooper STT
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2
Firestone Destination MT
General Grabber AT2
BFgoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
Fierce Attitude MT

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
I run the Fierce attitudes in the 35x12.5x17 flavor. I love everything about these tires, except maybe one thing. I've buried them completely in thick Virginia mud and nearly been stuck but put the pedal to the floor and the treads clear out and you're right back in it again. They behave how you would expect a M/T to behave in snow but I haven't had an issue with being safe or being stuck. The price is awesome at >$300/tire. The only thing I can say bad about them is they seem to wear just a tiny bit faster than other tires I've ran (and they don't come in 37x12.5.17). Overall, I think it's an awesome tire.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also run the fierce attitude M/T. I have Zero complaints about them. I live in the north east, so they see snow and ice and I think they are pretty darn good In the snow, even the light stuff. Ice is ice though and without studs, not many tires excel in it. I have 36k on mine and I think lll get another 24k out of them
Old 01-20-2015, 09:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jrod250
I also run the fierce attitude M/T. I have Zero complaints about them. I live in the north east, so they see snow and ice and I think they are pretty darn good In the snow, even the light stuff. Ice is ice though and without studs, not many tires excel in it. I have 36k on mine and I think lll get another 24k out of them
I've only put ~8-9k on mine, I'm glad to hear it's just my imagination. I'm paranoid about tire life because I let my mustang's tires go too long and it broke loose, causing me to wreck. I don't mess around with tires anymore!
Old 01-21-2015, 01:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would look at the new KO2's.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have you looked at the new Nitto Terra Grappler G2? They look good, in my opinion, and are great on the road for a daily driver. I won't have a chance to test them off-road for a few weeks, so I cannot comment on trail performance yet. They come with a 50k or 65k tread wear warranty depending on size. They are also relatively inexpensive.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm in NJ. I put OEM size duratracs on m 2012 JKU. Couldn't be happier. Quiet. Great wet traction. Total price all said & done for 4 tires including installation was $675. I bought the tires from simpletire.com. Nobody could touch their price. Discount tires direct was close. Tire rack was $100 more. I had the delivered to a Goodyear place to install.
I will not knock the grabber at2's. I put them on my Mercury mountaineer and they were pretty darn fantastic.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From that list I'd go BFGoodrich All Terrain, best tire for the conditions you listed. I'm trying to decide between them and the Mud Terrain myself
Old 01-21-2015, 06:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might want to add the Nitto Exo Grapplers to that list. They're Nitto's new answer to the Duratrac.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fiveofun
From that list I'd go BFGoodrich All Terrain, best tire for the conditions you listed. I'm trying to decide between them and the Mud Terrain myself
Good luck with those on snow and ice vs the snowflake rated Duratracs!!! Love my Duratracs the last 3 winters up here in Canada. I use MTR's in summer.... Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: when you can't decide on tires..